𝙾𝚗𝚎

𝚂𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚍𝚊𝚢, 𝙹𝚊𝚗𝚞𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝟸𝟾𝚝𝚑

It's as if the sand has been brushed by the lightning of yesterday's surprise storm. Each time I place a foot in front of the other, shivers snake up my spine. Although, I know it's only the cold on my exposed skin. Ahead, at the centre of my best friend's party, is a bonfire. Thank goodness. The flames are trying to overthrow her as the party's life and light, dancing wildly to the fast-paced music. But, of course, they never will – she's the sun. With my back acutely hunched and my arms folded over my waist, I gently pinch the sides of my middle, feeling the looseness I need to lose. My mind drops little sentences, and repeatedly, I allow them to run round and round inside. They're a broken record and I haven't left the room. I should have worn a top, even a rashie. Anything to cover the swells of my middle.

"Eden, you're looking hot!" Callie exclaims as she skips towards me, her arms spread vast like the oceans.

"I'm not feeling it," I say as her arms close around me and mine do around her, "Get me near that fire."

"Okay!" Callie complies, lifting my feet from the beach and quite literally carrying me to the bonfire, "You know, I only have a bonfire because I thought it was going to be cold like yesterday. I'm honestly ready to drop some seawater on it."

With the bonfire before me, Callie plops my feet onto the sand. "What would you like?" Callie begins, "Chips? Chocolate? Fruit kebab? Hummus and crackers?" And just for a slice of a moment, Callie's eyes look mid-distance before returning to me, "Oh my goodness, why am I offering you that mediocrity? I literally bought you excellence!"

Callie flounces away to the fold-out table where all the food and drink appear to be.

When Callie offers you the food, don't take it —

"Hey!" Cooper greets, his burly arms wrapping around me. His hugs are a familiar comfort, warm like sunshine on a summer morning. Cooper is Callie's brother. And kind of like mine, too. "Looking forward to Year 12?" he asks.

"I just want to skip this year," I reply, "Go straight to uni."

"Why?" Cooper chuckles.

"I'm already exhausted," I breathe out. This year is total uncertainty. The stress of Year 11, but even more serious. I can't make any mistakes

Cooper places his arm around my shoulders, just briefly. Then in a mellow way he says, "We can do some study sessions together if you'd like?"

"Me, you and the love birds," I smile, looking into Cooper's ochre eyes, "Sounds great."

Callie returns with a packet of marshmallows. She glides her hand – carrying skewers – around the packet, emphasising its existence. "Remember that camping trip we went on with my family way back? When you ate all the pink marshmallows from one packet? I thought of you when I saw these in the shop," Callie says, her smile full and dimples deep.

Don't eat any, not one. "Yeah, but you ate all the white ones!" I laugh as Callie hands me over the skewers.

And tears open the marshmallow packet.

In turn, I open the packet of skewers and hold one out for her. She impales a pink marshmallow onto the stick before gazing beyond. The dunes have caught her attention where a cluster of people Callie knows better than I make their way down. The only one I do know well is Reef, Callie's boyfriend.

"Do you mind if I go greet them?" Callie asks, baring a toothy frown, "I'll be back straight after."

"Of course, go!" I say, feeling guilty for why I want her to leave me.