𝙴𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

"That's not a healthy dinner," Mum's mouth claps, gesturing towards Ms Fitzgibbon's white dinner roll and butter as we sat down opposite her.

"Oh, that's part of the meal we were provided with tonight," Ms Fitzgibbon replies to Mum, "Is there anything you would like to talk about?"

"No, you're the one who requested this meeting," Mum says, glaring at my Biology teacher.

"Pretend I'm not here," I somewhat laughed, attempting to lighten the mood.

"Well, Leah, how do you feel you're doing this semester compared with last semester?" Ms Fitzgibbon asks, speaking directly at me.

"I think I'm getting better," I reply, "I mean, I passed my last test.

"You did and I think you're getting better as well," Ms Fitzgibbon comments as she pulls out from my folder this last test and hands it to my mum.

"This is messy," states Grumpy Pants.

"It was done under test conditions," Ms Fitzgibbon steps in for me.

"And Mum! I even got a compliment from Ms Fitzgibbon: reasonably good," I joke, pointing to the red comment on my paper. I look at Fitzgibbon and she smiles. We'd laughed about the compliment earlier today.

"Eden is a top student in the class," Fitzgibbon comments.

I can't help but hear the word a as if it were intentionally emphasised. I knew I used to be the best student.

"That wouldn't be hard going to a school like this," Mum says, "I don't want her becoming a checkout chick, you know."

I wish I could say the interview got better from there.