Prologue

"I could never live up to you /  And I could never really answer."- Be Impressive // The Griswolds

  The man is standing in the tent alone. The arid atmosphere of northern Chile continues to clog his throat. But he's been everywhere; his body can take it.

  Outside the tent people are bustling, guns are being cleaned, orders are being issued, and training sessions conducted. But this is no army.

  "Dr. Delgato, sir?" a young voice asks, opening the tent flap.

  Delgato nods and takes his seat behind his desk.

  The Top Scouts, two young men with cold eyes, walk in and sit across from him. Their black leather jackets and the insignias match perfectly as they wait expectantly.

  "So, you are here to report on your two most recent missions, yes?" asks Delgato.

  The scouts glance to each other. "Yes."

  "I don't hear anything coming out of your mouths yet. Get on with it."

  One of the scouts gulps, drums his fingers on the desk and begins, "The one of Test Subject 1, the Sawyers' son-" he receives a harsh look from Delgato and lowers his head. "Test Subject One is going well. He and Bridges will soon be set on taking that plane to California."

  Delgato's eyes narrow and he leans forward, resting his elbows on the desk. "Do you mean to tell me they don't know about the flight yet?" All this planning, it was a shame they can't just grab him and go, but those emissions of electricity are such a problem especially when they're so far from the lab in San Diego.

  The scout looks to his partner and glares. Look where his idea's landed them. "No, Delgato, they do not know about the flight yet. Webster- I mean we decided that the information about leaving for California would be more motivational if they the plane was leaving sooner."

  Delgato leans back, looking a little more satisfied. "You should have told a superior of this decision, shouldn't you?"

  Although it would never leave his lips, the scout has always detested the way Delgato manages to make you feel more stupid then you are.

  "Yes we should have," the other scout says, looking at his partner with dismay and a shared sense of annoyance. "We will send two men down to release the information tomorrow morning. We've been following the subject and Bridges closely."

  Delgato nods. "And how are other things down in Punta Arenas?"

  One partner speaks up, "Bridges seems very keen on leaving, as we have a bug in their... residence. And the emissions of electric waves from Test Subject One is at the same frequency and strength as they were when he escaped 3 years ago. Just as you estimated."

  Another nod. "This is good news. Bridges is set on leaving, and our meticulous planning hasn't been a waste if these emissions are just as bad as we thought."

  The scouts breathe out in relief together. It seems they've done this mission well.

  "And the other mission?" Asks Delgato. "How has that gone? I would hope well?"

  One of the scouts begins, glad they've reached this mission which has already gone well, "The two Bradshaws, yes." He says the name with distaste, as would anyone else in the organization. "They have already arrived in Punta Arenas from Wyoming, and through some strings we've found out for sure they're taking the flight back to Sacramento."

  A smile crawls across Delgato's face. "Very good, very good. That raffle," he says, "was a quite creative way to get them down here. International travel is quite the motivator."

  Standing up, he claps his hands together. "Well then! That turned out better than I'd guess you two fools could do." Winking, he adds, "I'll remember you two at this month's awards."

  Beaming, the two Top Scouts bow and exit the tent, leaving Delgato alone by his desk.

  Letting his head fall back, he puts his hands in the pockets of his lab coat and breathes in deeply. Now, the arid air of northern Chile is much less dry. It feels full of possibility. And within a matter of months, Test Subject One will finally be his again.