Chapter XXXXVI: Guad

"Oh where do we begin? The rubble or our sins?"- Pompeii // Bastille

It's several weeks later and I'm actually kind of glad I haven't lived in the US before because I don't have to deal with all the legal matters everyone else does.

Besides the fact I'm the legal guardian of the twins and Perry (Ashton pulled a few string), I don't have much to worry about.

Bob's 18 now, as of noviembre and he's inherited the insane amount of money his parents had. According to a call from Ashton, Bob's father went missing in the Himalayas years ago (which we already knew) and his mother has recently been reported dead.

That inheritance Bob gained launches me into a life I'm ill-prepared for: I don't have to worry about food or money anymore. When I wake up there is food to eat and I don't have to spend hours in the early morning searching or working for it. I wear nice sweaters and jackets, we go out for food every night and hang out without a single thing to worry us.

I also get my first real haircut for the first time in many years. I have them crop it nice and short; if so many other things are changing why not my hair too? Every night I look into the mirror of the master bathroom next to my bedroom (the rest of the squad thought I deserved these rooms) and still have trouble recognizing my face. All the stubble I've gained is gone and my skin is always clean. I feel neat and wonder how other people don't wash themselves all the time if they get to feel like this.

Perry (with the twins' help) sold his apartment and his parents house, where we only had to live for a week and a half. Soon we live in a large house of our own, not too far away. We also have Perry's old car, but Bob's already making arrangements to get another, and I'm afraid he's going to spend his money on a nice sports car.

A pool waits for us in the backyard, yearning for summer to begin and a small piano room offers a place for Janis and Bob to finally play once again. Throughout the hours of the day, soft music can be heard anywhere in the house. I've never gotten to listen to music, much less classical, before, and I'm astonished at what it does to the atmosphere. For the first time in my life of turmoil and anxiety I feel peace.

In several days we will celebrate Perry's 17th birthday on January 9th. I've never been to a party before so every day I look forward to it.

The squad is also invited to be on a talk show. Apparently people find the story of a group of teenagers single handedly trekking through South America to be interesting. It's only going to be Angelina, Perry, and the twins up on the stage however, which it totally okay with me. I've never watched a talk show and watching ones with my friends on it certainly isn't a burden.

Living in a country of English proves a little challenging however. I've always spoken fluently, despite a few words here and there I don't know. But people still give me strange looks when they hear my accent, see my face, and figure out I'm an immigrant.

After a while I tune myself to read English more quickly when I see billboards and signs. Some of my thoughts become English too, but I continue to speak Spanish to Bob and Janis because I'm already afraid of losing it.

I never used to read much, but to help my English to improve and to retain my Spanish I read difficult classic books. The house came with a lot of them and the heavy volumes wait on shelves somewhere in every room.

These are easily the best four weeks of my life.

. . .

One morning I finally decide to brave the Naked Lounge Diana told me about. I never got to know her very well and she never got to return there, so I decide this could benefit both of us.