Chapter XXXIV: Guad

"Adversity makes men and prosperity makes monsters."- Victor Hugo

  Bógota rises to greet us. And greet us it does. Tall skyscrapers reach to the sky with their faces upwards yet they still manage to effortlessly daunt us down on the ground. The entire city seems to be full of buzzing people as they walk, run, and drive. It's as if they never stop to rest.

  "Guys," says Bob over the noise of Colombia's capital, "I think I have a plan." Oh no, I think. From the look of the others' faces I can tell they are having the same thought.

  "What is it?" Perry asks, leaning on the side of a brick building. I bite my lip to stop myself from making any noise that would indicate I don't like his smugness.

  "My family has spent a good amount of time in Bógota," Bob tells us matter-of-factly. "Therefore, I have 'connections.'" He uses air quotes for emphasis, as if we don't know what connections are.

  "Your point exactly?" Alice asks impatiently. I glance to the young Bradshaw. Even over the past day she's grown more tired and irritable. Her long brown braid is ruffled and lies loosely behind her. Janis and Perry flank her, as if daring anyone to try and harm her.

  "I know of a carter airport here that I could get us a plane at," he says, smiling proudly. "We could fly up to San Diego without having to worry at all about security."

  Each of us nods, although I'm sure the reference to Ashton's message cause every one of us to grow more nervous than before, as it does to me. It's so typical of him to leave without more than a couple words. The more he appears the more I wish he'd disappear. How safe can he be for us anyway?

  "Take us to your airport, Bob," Janis says, smiling at my pleased friend.

  "Follow me, ducklings!"

.  .  .

  "Bob Sawyer you say?" The slim, lanky man asks again. A card pinned to his suit says:

"Christopher Ruddings, Assistant Flight Coordinator" in Spanish.

  It seems as though it's been ages since I've been in a building this clean. All around us in the corridor are people in suits moving from place to place doing supposedly important things. The entire wall is made of window and looks out over Bógota in all its majesty.

  "Yes I am," says Bob. He puff his chest out importantly and smooths his sweater.

  "Well we can have a flight for you and your friends to Mexico City leaving in five hours," says the man. His ginger hair begins to look more annoying at the words "Mexico City."

  "Excuse me, I thought we were going to San Diego," Perry interrupts, his green eyes narrowed. He stares up at the taller man (which I want to laugh at) and seems to challenge him. "You said you would take us there."

  "I apologize," Ruddings says, shrinking back. He shakes his hands defensively. "There is nothing I can do for you except give you this flight."

  "We'll take it," I say before any of my friends can chime in. If they aren't going to go for this good free deal then I will. I'm not going to give up an opportunity to cut off hundreds of miles from our journey.

  Ruddings nods. "We will see you this afternoon then. Feel free to explore the city Mr. Sawyer."

  Outside on the streets, I lean in to my friend. "Bob, are you sure you want to go to San Diego? Can you do it?"