Chapter XXXI: Perry

"Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar! And you'll live as you've never lived before." ~Music of the Night (The Phantom of the Opera)

My mind begins to rush at the speed of our train. Explode? I think. Does every mode of transportation in South America want me dead?

Nothing about the train has changed since the news of demise in our future has been delivered, but the atmosphere within the group has been altered greatly. Eye contact with anyone is impossible now that every member of the squad bows their head in fear. I find it rather ironic how I'm holding my breath in shock because a death sentence has been given. If you don't breathe and act now, I tell myself, you won't be able to do either in about 10 minutes.

"What's our plan?" I ask, trying to sound confident.

I expect my peers to be on the same page as me, but the glares of confusion I receive tell me to think again. Ashton is the only one who seems unfazed by my words, but doesn't step in to back me up either. True loneliness envelopes me for the first time since the crash; until now at least one member of the squad has always had my back.

Glancing from person to person, I look for any sign of loyalty. I watch in despair as Diana, my own sister, cannot even meet my gaze. The silence drags on like the end of a school day, every student waiting in anticipation for the bell to ring.

"We should think about informing the train conductor of Delgato's parked cars," Ashton shatters the silence like it's glass. "The question for you, Perry, is how you are going to get to him."

"No, how we are going to get to him," Guad's voice starts as a whisper, but grows louder as he continues to speak. "Helping each other should be the top priority, right?" A small smile grows on his face, and he even laughs lightly. "Besides, I would rather die by White's crazy plan than at Delgato's hand."

I quickly flash a smile to Guad, and for the first time since the crash, I hate him a little less than before. "We will need to first get out of this cargo car and make our way up to where the actual passengers sit. The conductor will be near their cars."

"There are doors on the side and top of our car," Alice points to each exit as she names them.

"I would suggest you travel along the upper path," Ashton suggests. "It shall be a bit windy, but surely easier than the other route that has no foot holes."

Guad and I say a quick farewell to the squad before climbing atop various crates to make our escape out the top of the car. Wind hits my face with a forceful speed the instant it's out of the shelter of the car.

Standing up proves to be a challenge of its own. The higher I rise off the car's roof, the harder it becomes to balance. Even opening my eyes a normal amount hurts, for it allows for wind burn to strike.

I discover that the only way to walk up here is to lean forward, otherwise, the wind has a chance to knock you down. My feet feel like they are made of cement, each step seeming harder than the one before. Guad shouts something from behind me, but I don't catch a word of it.

I step shakily from the car I'm onto the one in front of me, and continue my journey. Whether it be adrenalin or my sharp realization that we're on a time crunch, I pick up speed, and can only hope Guad follows my example.

Before I know it, I've reached the passenger cars.

"How do we get inside?" Guad shouts in my ear. I almost lose my balance leaning over to hear him speak.