Chapter XXXXIV: Guad

"Death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints: it takes and it takes and it takes."- Wait For It // Hamilton

Since my parents died I've had very little to lose. When I met Diana I had no idea that fact was changing.

Because until I do, I never realize I have anything to lose.

Maybe a scream leaves my mouth as she topples backward, still bound to her chair, onto the floor. I'll never know. The blood pools around her head and I accidentally pull the trigger of Delgato's pistol, the one I stole.

The bullet breaks the ground inches from the killer's head.

From the weight of him collapsing on the floor, Perry cuts Alice's final rope and slices a gash in his hand.

Across the room, Mrs. White begins to sob, crying hysterically. Next to her, Angelina screams. I've never really felt bad for her before.

Instinctively, I take action. Like the Devil am I going to sit around and let Diana go unavenged.

I stomp on Delgato's gun arm, making it impossible to shoot anyone without almost breaking his wrist.

"Nadie le dio el derecho de hacerle daño! La gente le encantó! Y que no se hablará de ti! Ella valía 10.000 de ti!" I shout in Spanish. I don't care if only Delgato and Janis understand me. Only this murderer needs to know that he's worth nothing compared to who Diana was.

In the corner of my eye I see Janis bring her hands to her face. "Guad-" she whispers.

"Janis- take his gun," I command. My hands are shaking as they grip the pistol. I can't bring my eyes to look at Diana's body.

The room grows ever quiet as the only sounds are Perry, Angelina, and his mother letting out the occasional sob as they try to shove them down their throats.

Janis wrenches Delgato's other gun from his hand and points it to his head like me.

The man who was so high and mighty before lays on the ground with real fear in his eyes for the first time since we've arrived. His formerly slicked back brown hair is ruffled and flecked with blood, like one of his hands, which is oozing freely from the wound I gave him. His white lab coat is sprawled around him, stained with blood. A few of the syringes in his pocket have fallen to the floor, their lids the only thing stopping someone from stepping on them and puncturing themselves.

And Delgato's eyes. His simple brown eyes stare up at us with intense hatred. Me, who's parents were his good friends as he went about doing evil. And Janis, who's father did his best to thwart him. He stares at us, as if he's worked for something for so long and now it's all falling down.

Janis and I both stand, his life at our mercy. Alice hesitantly pulls Perry to his shaky feet, but he pushes her away. Angelina and Mrs. White remain bound, watching us with horrified interest. Ashton stands soberly, as if this is what he wanted, but he isn't happy about it.

I glance to Janis for a second. Her eyes are as blue as always, hard with an anger she and her sister both bear. But in different ways.

With my face I ask if we should shoot him. I've never wanted anything more.

Her's tells me she's wary. I can understand. He's a man who's done so much, commanded so many. But not one of those things was done with a good heart. He tried to play God. And he most certainly shouldn't have.

"We have to," I tell her out loud.

Both of us cock our guns simultaneously.

Sneering with his lip curled, Delgato slyly pulls out remote, clicking a button with a sneaky grin. "Reinforcements will be here momentarily."