Chapter XXV: Perry

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

At first, I thought I was a bad bodyguard. Now I know that I'm not bad, but the worst. What kind of brother am I? What kind of brother is stupid enough not to be able to follow his own sister? What kind of person am I leading someone else away from their sister?

"It's not your fault," Janis tells me for the hundredth time. "Anyone could have made that mistake."

"Who's fault is it, then?" I ask. "If it weren't for me, we wouldn't be lost-"

"If I haven't followed you, you could be with the group, and I could be completely alone. Being lost with you has to be better than being lost by myself." I look over at Janis, and see her smiling at the ground. "Sorry, that wasn't meant to be an insult."

Even through my self-dissapointment, I can't help but laugh lightly. I don't say it, but I'd rather be lost with her than by myself. The situation is pretty lame as it is, but solitude would make it at least 20 times worse.

After walking for at least another hour, Janis suggests that we stop for the night. I check the time, and it's about 12:30am. Janis sits down across from me as I pull our food out from my backpack. There isn't a whole lot left, but it will last the two of us at least two days.

Eating a random assortment of nuts is more satisfying than I would have thought. I didn't realize how hungry I was until now.

I sometimes find silence soothing, but right now it's uncomfortable. Janis looks displeased as well, so maybe conversation is unanimously needed. As the slightly older one, it's probably my job to start the small talk.

"What's up with you and Alice?" Janis asks before I can phrase my question. This catches me off guard, and I'm forced into a state of speechlessness.

"I...I don't know," I answer honestly. I don't know what conclusions to draw of Alice and me. She doesn't talk to me all that much, but I'd still say we're friends, especially compared to how little some of the others talk to me.

"Sure, because people who have no interest in each other whatsoever hold hands and smile as if we aren't in this crappy situation!"

"Are you actually jealous of me?" Clearly I've been in the dark; I could have sworn Janis and Bob...

"Not in the way you're probably thinking. I just feel so...rejected when she spends time with you rather than me," There's so much hatred in her voice that it scares me. "And to be frank, I loathe you for that."

I don't say it, but I don't see how this is my fault. Alice can do whatever she wants, so I shouldn't be the one getting yelled at.

Before the argument grows more heated, I hear a strange whooshing sound. Even in the dark, I can see little trickles of water carving a path for themselves along the cement. The air feels more moist, but it could be my mind playing tricks on me. More and more water accumulates around us, and soon it has reached ankle-deep.

The strange whooshing sound returns, followed by its source. A giant wave comes rushing through one end of the tunnel, forcing us to move.

Janis and I sprint down the corridor, water splashing up onto us with every step. I hear her scream as water crashes on us from above, completely soaking us. Wiping away the water in my eyes is my natural instinct, but it's pointless with the unmeasurable liquid dripping and swirling around us.

"We can't run faster than water!" I shout, trying not to swallow any. "There has to be another way!"

"We can't exactly wait it out, either!" Janis yells back. "Breathing is sort of essential, and water generally gets in the way of such activities!"

The tunnel splits into three, and we choose the one on the right. The water wave seems to speed up, which is great, since I'm becoming short of breath. Despite the pain in my lungs, I try to run faster. I'm failing, though, due to the pain in my feet; every time I take a step, it feels like I'm stepping on push pins.

Janis doesn't look too great either. Strands of hair from her ponytail has come loose, and is plastered to her face. One of her shoes is untied, which makes me nervous for her.

To keep my thoughts focused, I have to remind myself that I'm pressing forward for the sake of the squad, not just myself. I seems to repeat this like a chant in my head as we try to accomplish the impossible: outrun water.