Chapter XXII: Perry

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking." ~Jerry Seinfeld

"You brought us bikes?" Alice asks, folding her arms then shakes her head, making me laugh. "The better question is why did you bring us bikes?"

"I told you they'd hate it," Janis whispers to Bob, making him jokingly roll his eyes.

In truth, I think the bikes are a great idea. We'll get some good exercise, and will be able to move faster than on foot.

Guad seems to agree with me. "It's not that bad, Alice. Unless you have cyclophobia."

Everyone stares uncomfortably at him; since when does he have a memorized list of phobias?

Bob distributes the bicycles, and we mount them after packing up camp. It feels good to move in a way that's not walking. I feel like all I've done is walk and drive for the past few months, which I suppose has contribute to the amount of weight I've lost. That, and lack of proper meals.

The bike ride reminds me too much of California, especially since we're on a real path for once (Bob found it when he went to get the bikes). It would be so nice to be home at the end of the ride, but how would I develop my knowledge of patience without this experience? Oh wait, I know, maybe like a normal person?

I take note of my companions. Bob's smile is wide, as he tries to ride without using the handlebars. Janis laughs at his failure. Diana is giggling about something Guad said, which causes me to despise him even more. Is it normal for a little brother to be this protective over his older sister? Alice stares at the ground, and if something is going to jump in her way.

"What's happening on the ground?" I ask her sarcastically.

"Haha, shut up," Her light laugh makes me smile. "One of my friends broke his arm on a bike. I mean, sure, he was trying to jump a fence, but still."

"I know someone who choked on a peanut, but that doesn't stop me from eating."

"Yes, because eating is necessary. Biking is a choice."

"Touché."

• • •

I lose track of time on the bikes. When we stop at a river to take a break and wash off, I check the time. Apparently we left our previous campsite four hours ago.

I sit beside Alice on the riverbank, watching her watch the water's movement. Not that there's anything for her to watch; the river is extremely shallow.

Bob unlaces his shoes, pulls off his socks, and stands in the river, letting them hang loosely from his fingers. "Ah, guys get in. It feels so good."

I pull off my shoes, and shove them into the bag on my back. Bob is right, the water does feel good, plus it gives me a chance to get out of my shoes. Wearing them for months at a time has really taken a toll an my feet.

I take off my gas station ring, and to my surprise, find black ink swirled around where the band was. I haven't heard anyone else complain about this problem, so I'm hoping it isn't an effect of this cheap piece of jewelry.

I kneel down in the water, not letting it bother me that my pants are getting wet. After several minutes of violent scrubbing, I pull my hand out, and find that nothing has changed. The ink is still there.

"My feet are cold," Alice complains, scaring me as she comes to my side. "The warmth radiating from my feet is melting this river, because it must have been ice before now... Hey, what are you doing?"

"Do you have this problem?" I ask, showing her my finger. She grabs my hand to get a better look at the ink stain, and carefully rubs her thumb over it, sending chills up my spine.

Alice takes off her ring, and discovers the same problem. "Will it not come off in the water?"

"I haven't been able to get it to come off, but you're more than welcome to try."

"No, I trust your judgement."

We stand up, and I put my ring back on; the ink stain can't get any worse, can it?

"Earth to Alice and Perry!" Bob yells loudly from about 20 feet away. "Come join us, we're playing tag! Oh, and Perry...uh, you're it!"

Alice sprints to join the others, so I'm forced to follow. I'm faster than she is, so it doesn't take me long to catch up. As I tap her shoulder signifying that she is now "it," I trip and fall.

Unfortunately, it gets worse.

I scream as the ground gives way under me. I'm falling, and there's water in my mouth, making it hard to breathe properly. What is happening? I can't see or control myself, making me feels completely useless.

It hurts when my body thuds against the ground; it must be metal, because a loud echo began to ring out when I collided with it.

Once I've regained my senses, I look up, to see nothing but a flat ceiling. I take a few steps to the side as a hole opens up above me, spilling water onto the floor. Alice comes through the hole, and I watch it close as fast as it opened.

"Are you okay?" I ask, helping her to her feet. It sounds like a stupid question, but I don't think she'll judge.

"Yeah, just fell through a river," she stops to cough. "Gosh, I hope everyone else can find us, because they'll clearly have to come to us. There's no way for us to get back up there."

After about two minutes, Janis comes flying in from the ceiling, screaming the whole way down. She's followed by Bob, Diana, and lastly, Guad.

"Where are we?" My sister asks. It's satisfying to see her turning to me for answers, but I have not the slightest clue.
Guad points to something across the room: the intricate circle design I've seen several times in the past week.

"I believe this is a bunker," He prompts. "And I believe we are not here alone."

Footsteps echo through the room, and every second they get louder.