Chapter XXVI: Guad

"The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last."- Oscar Wilde

There are many different ways to react in a situation in which you find a dead body. And in the situation I am now facing, Alice, Bob, Diana and I are a perfect example of this.

Alice and Diana's eyes grow wide and they quickly glance around the room, as if someone is about to come and shoot them in the head too. The thought makes me want to crawl into a hole and hide, but I know I can't. I need to remember to stay strong.

Bob however, seems to stomach the situation pretty well. Maybe it's because he's the one who originally found the body. But it could be for some other reason. Under either circumstance, Bob turns to me and says, "We need to search the body."

"Haha," I mumble in a bland voice. "Repeat that please."

Biting his lip, Bob mutters, "We might find important information." He says this in a certain voice, but I can tell that he wants to find a way to get back at Delgato.

I sigh and glance up at the muddy ceiling. How did my life come to this? I think. "Okay," I tell my friend reluctantly as I bend down on my knees next to the body.

"Women," Bob commands, "keep watch so that no one tries to stab us or something."

"Lovely," Alice rolls her eyes as Bob kneels down on the floor next to me.

Bob and I begin our unpleasant task. The body, I've gathered, is of a man, probably 30 or so, which makes him definitely too young to die. He's dressed in some kind of grey uniform. Just as I'm thinking this, Bob mutters to me that he looks like a janitor.

I nod and begin to look through his pockets. Fishing my hands through the muddy uniform frankly isn't the slightest bit fun, but then again, who expected it to be?

Soon, Bob and I begin to form a pile of things we find, which amounts to be surprisingly large.

A few minutes after we start, I find the note. It's in a pocket on his shin, and I can tell that my discovery is paper the second I feel its texture.

Yanking it out, I begin to unfold it the second I can. As I stare at it, my mind begins to swim. I don't read very well in English, so I decide to ask Diana to. I stand up and walk over to the blonde girl, who is watching the tunnel from which we came.

"I found this in his pocket," I explain as she turns around. "Can you read what it says, please?" I silently pass her the paper, and it only takes a second for her to read it. I can tell because only just after I've given it to her, her green eyes grow wider than I thought eyes could.

"What's the matter?" I ask. Diana doesn't answer. Instead she stumbles back against the dirt wall. Absentmindedly, she hands me back the paper and stares vaguely at Alice.

"Alice, you- you need to read this," Diana stutters, pointing to me.

Alice furrows her brow and stares at the two of us. "I need to read Guad?" She asks.

Lacking even the smallest trace of a laugh, Diana shakes her head. "You need to read the note he found."

Confused, Alice cautiously walks towards me. I hand her paper and turn my attention to Diana's pale face. It's strange to see her skin such a white shade, because she's been beyond tan, having come from California.

Alice clears her throat and begins to read. "'Diana... you're next.'"

"Excuse me, we will not discuss who we're eating first yet," Bob says, standing up from his spot on the ground.

"What?" I ask, my heart pounding. "What are you talking about?"

"You guys said, 'Diana, you're next.'"