Chapter IV: Perry

Perry

"Fear doesn't shut you down. It wakes you up."- Divergent

I was more glad that I made the decision to bring Guad food when I saw that he has an old man to take care of as well. You could tell, though, that while he wanted to turn down the food, it was clear that he couldn't.

Standing in the lobby of La Tierra Finis for the last time, I take in a deep breath of air that's both fresh, but full of the scent of soil. It's quiet enough in here that dropping my pen would win me stares. The man at the front desk keeps looking at his hands, then up at me, as if making sure that I'm not watching him. Even though now I am.

"You just turned in a key from room 113, yes?" he questions in broken English. "Mr. Perry White?"

I move from my spot where I'm leaning against the wall so I can examine what he's holding. "Yes, can I ask why you need me please?"

"This was delivered for you." He hands me an envelope and I quickly rip it open. Inside is a green bookmark with that black and white insignia circle from the travel agency. But besides that, the envelope is empty.

For a second, I'm scared to be so far from home, and so alone. Somebody sent this to me, and I don't have the protection of my parents or anybody.

To calm myself down, I guess that it's just a complimentary gift from the travel agency, although I'm not sure as to why they're sending it right before we leave. OR why it's only for me, as this trip isn't even mine nor in my name. OR why it's a bookmark of all things.

I shove it into my bag as Diana, Angelina, and Lisa come from down the hall, lugging all their bags behind them. After swiftly thanking the man at the desk, we head to the street where our rental car is parked.

As Angelina, the oldest, drives us to the airport, we pass the alley with Guad's hut. For a split second, I see him and the old man sitting on two barrels outside their door, heads following the car as we pass.

We return the car and go through airport security, which is surprisingly quick and rushed. It seems America has many more security measures than this place.

"This is the last time I let you plan the timing, Perry," my sister tells me as we sit at our gate an hour early.

"You say that every time," Angelina reminds her.

"It's not his fault," says Lisa as she takes a seat on her suitcase. "He's only just finished sophomore year."

My phone buzzes, and while I'm confused as to who would call me down here, I'm not saddened to stop hearing Lisa baby me.

"Hello, Perry? It's me, Guad." I forgot that I even gave him my number with the food. It was more out of pity than anything; anyways, I assumed he wouldn't have access to a phone in the first place.

He continues: "I just thought that I should tell you, we're going to be at the airport soon, and if you see us, can you act like we're with you or something?"

Some hissing comes from the other line and it takes me a second to realize it's from Bob.

"Why do you both sound so nervous?" I ask cautiously.

"Nervous?" Guad asks. "Me? No."

For the next 30 seconds he stammers until he hangs up, leaving me with a silent phone and a question. What is he up to?

. . .

I lug my bags down the aisle to my seat, and am pleased to discover I have another window seat. Angelina has the seat beside me, so I know I'll have company for the next 14 hours.