Chapter XXX: Janis

"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."- Jack Kerovac

My finger continues to sting the next morning after getting my tracker taken out. But that's the least of my concerns. My stomach feels physically nauseous after learning the news of my father. Of course as a child I always thought he was weird. I just never assumed he was build-a-secret-organization weird.

Alice and I send each other looks as we're packing up, but we don't say anything. We don't even silent message.

Leaving the hotel, I'm positive it's not the same as when we went inside. Just last night when I walked into this hotel, I was hopeful, excited even. But when I walk out into the humid morning air, I can only think of how hard the struggle ahead of us is going to be, now knowing that my father was tied into Delgato's organization.

"So we're taking the train?" I ask, hefting a backpack over my shoulder as we walk down the streets of Manaus, the gravel littered with confetti and ripped coupons. Not many people are out, so I can guess they're all sleeping after last night's festival.

Guad nods. To Perry's confused look, he says, "We talked about it when you were still asleep."

Grimacing, Perry rubs his swollen finger and mutters, "Of course you did."

Making my stomach jolt, Alice grabs his hand and smiles. What is she doing? I think. She has to stop! This is bad. Bad Perry! Bad Alice!

All the way to the train station my attention is on them, hoping they don't notice me watching. Out of the corner of my eye I can see Bob looking confused, but whether he "ships it" or not doesn't really worry me.

We've arrived at the station. People in expensive looking suits and dresses board the passenger cars while the cargo cars stay open and dormant.

"So when you said we were taking the train, that meant we were going to be hobos?" Perry asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Well obviously you chaps aren't exactly rolling in the dough," says Ashton. "Now hold still. We're going to huddle around you so anyone looking won't notice your injuries."

"I feel like they'd care more that we're illegally riding a train than the fact that I'm beaten up," Perry argues, as we close in on him. Bob and I are next to each other and I see him smiling down on me.

"Thanks," he whispers in my ear.

"For what?" I ask as we waddle like penguins onto the train car.

"Your dad made an organization based against one I hate, so you know, thanks," says Bob.

"Oh," I mutter awkwardly, "you're welcome."

He's grabbing my hand now, physically holding my hand, and I'm not sure why. But I don't question it, because I like it.

We sit down next to each other and hide behind some crates as an inspector lazily looks through all the cars. Within a minute he is gone and the rest of the squad is with us leaning against the wall and various boxes.

The train makes puffing noises as it begins to chug off, the way I always imagined. I begin to remember the way my father pretended the spoon was a train when he fed Alice and me. Was he thinking of his organization then? Remembering how our mother left us because of him?

"I have a shoulder right here," Bob suddenly announces.

"I assumed," I tell him bluntly, not understanding what he's getting at.

"It's the perfect size for a head," he adds, winking at me.

My whole body feels ticklish suddenly. I hardly notice as I lay my head down on his shoulder, the tips of my fly-away hairs barely touching his now shaved jaw. Seeing him without a lumberjack beard is strangely weird; even though he had it for a short time, I feel that is sort of became a part of him.