Chapter 8. Blind Date

Mia was grateful they let her go and didn't try to push the issue. She had time to get herself together on the bus ride. At work, she was even more grateful that her office furniture had arrived, and she spent most of the day getting her new office in order. The guys were busy with their work, clients, and meetings to pay her much attention which she was happy about.

She went to lunch by herself and thought about the situation she was in with Aidan and Kale. How could she ever face them again after that embarrassing incident? She was mortified. Her phone began to ring. She answered it thinking it was one of the guys, instead Jasmine's angry voice yelled at her on the phone.

"What type of friend are you?!"

"Jasmine!"

"I've been waiting since yesterday to hear your apology for your man's behavior, and I get nothing!"

"I'm so sorry, Jasmine, I've been so busy. I wanted to call you but didn't get a chance to do it. So, much has been going on. How is your boyfriend?"

"He's not my boyfriend and after the other day, he's thinking about suing Kale."

"Oh no..."

"Don't worry I talked him out of it," Jasmine said.

"Thank you so much Jasmine. How can I make this up to you?" Regardless of how Kale and Aidan felt about Jasmine, Mia still wanted her friendship.

"Well now that you ask, you could treat me out to dinner at my favorite seafood restaurant."

"Done," Mia said, "but you'll have to pick me up after work. I don't have my car today."

"Fine and make sure you have plenty of money on you. I plan on ordering the most expensive items on the menu." Jasmine hung up the phone.

Mia sighed. She knew Kale would never apologize for hitting Jasmine's friend and now she had to pay for his bad temper in order to stay on good terms with Jasmine. It wasn't that she was naive to the type of person Jasmine was, but Mia thought maybe she could help her become a better person by hanging around her. Maybe she could have a good influence on her. Jasmine was only 21, it wasn't too late for her to go back to college, get a good job and stop depending on men who didn't care about her. Mia was afraid Jasmine would get herself in trouble with her line of work.

When she got back to her office, there was a huge bouquet of roses lying on her desk with a card attached to it. She read it.

Mia, we had to leave the office to inspect some houses today. Great job with the presentations, our clients were very impressed. Your office looks wonderful. We always knew you had great taste when it came to decorating. We'll come by your apartment tonight to see how you're doing. Please do not avoid us. We still love you very much and there's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Love,

Aidan and Kale.

P.S. You have a body to die for...

Mia blushed at the last sentence. She sat the note down and sighed with relief. Perfect timing. She didn't have to find ways to avoid them for the rest of the day and wouldn't have to explain to them that Jasmine was picking her up for dinner. She had a feeling they would give her a hard time about hanging out with Jasmine, but who were they to tell her who to be friends with? She was a grown woman after all.

Jasmine was waiting for her at 5:00pm sharp, but she wasn't alone. She'd brought another "friend" with her. Mia looked at them in confusion as a young black man got out of the passenger seat and opened the door for her.

"Mia, this is Eric Williams, a friend from the neighborhood," Jasmine said.

Eric smiled at her and shook her hand. "Wassup, nice to finally meet you, Jasmine told me a lot about you."