Chapter 16. Jealousy

"Mia are you sure this is something you really want to do?" Joyce asked as they sat in Starbucks having coffee. "I wanted you to be aware of their feelings for you, but they're not forcing you into this relationship, are they?"

"Of course, I'm sure, I wouldn't have slept with them if I wasn't. I love Aidan and Kale, I couldn't see my life without them. They're not forcing me into anything." Mia crossed her legs and took a sip of her coffee, never noticing the attention she was attracting from a few guys in the shop.

"Well, I did warn you that they were serious about you, but I didn't know you'd end up with them so soon," Joyce peered at Mia suspiciously. "Are you pregnant?"

"What? No, will you stop it? Why are you acting this way? I thought you'd be happy for me."

"I am happy for you Mia, if you are. It's just that not too long ago, you were denying everything Jasmine and I said about them and now here you are in a serious relationship with them."

"I appreciate your concern, really I do, but I'm fine," Mia waved her hand as if dismissing the conversation. "By the way, have you heard from Jasmine lately?"

"I talked to her yesterday, actually," Joyce said.

"She won't answer my calls, I'm going over to her place to see what's up."

"Oh don't even think about going over there, the girl is never home. She has a new boy toy. She's practically living him with now. Besides, Jasmine is afraid that you're angry at her. She told me she set you up with some guy name Eric and it didn't go well, at least that's what Eric told her."

"Oh I would just love to hear that psycho's version of the story," Mia finished her coffee. "I'm sick of Jasmine acting so immature about everything. She should at least have the decency to call me to see if I was okay after setting me up with that asshole. She doesn't take responsibility for anything."

"Why do you put up with Jasmine so much? You know what she's like. Even I can only take her in small doses," Joyce asked shaking her head.

"I don't know. I guess I just want to see her do better in life. The girl needs a real friend, even though she makes it hard for anyone to be around her at times."

"Mia, I know you feel the need to be her friend, but sometimes people like her can bring you down right along with them if you're not careful. Jasmine is the type of person who has to hit rock bottom before she comes to her senses and I don't want you to get caught up with her when she does it. There's nothing you can do for Jasmine, except wait until it happens. At this point in her life, she thinks she's got the whole word in the palm of her hand. She's young, arrogant, spoiled and there's nothing you or me can tell her. So, I suggest you just leave her alone until she's ready to truly value your friendship. Besides, you got two good looking, rich, business men in your life, they are the ones you should be thinking about."

Mia tilted her head thoughtfully. "How did you get to be so wise?"

"Wise?" Joyce laughed. "Now you're making me sound like an old woman."

Mia laughed. "I'm glad you're my best friend Joyce. You always know exactly what to say."

"Well, if you're so happy we're BFFs, you should keep in contact with me more often," Joyce gave her a pointed look and took a sip of her coffee.

Mia smiled and nodded. "I promise. I tend to get carried away with those men of mine. They are quite demanding."

"I just bet they are," Joyce said with a smirk.

Mia kicked her lightly and grinned.

Mia drove down the street humming to herself and listening to the R&B station. She was trying to figure out where she would go next after meeting Joyce when her cell phone began to ring. She turned off the music and put the phone on speaker.