Chapter 22. Deception

Kale and Aidan went back to work Tuesday regardless of the few scratches and cuts still lingering on their faces. Kale's swollen arm was going down quickly, but he had to wear a bigger shirt and jacket for it. The guys were taking the accident better than Mia. Someone had tried to kill them, but they were back at work as if nothing had happened. They really were strong men.

Mia busied herself catching up on all the work she'd missed out on. They thought it was safer for her to stay in their apartment than at their home since the apartment was full of people that offered their services and they lived on the highest floor. If the bastard ever got through, which they doubt he would, someone would see him, there were doormen and elevator operators. Aidan had told all of them to keep a close eye on Mia and to call him if someone wanted to go up to his apartment. When Kale had stopped by to visit her for lunch and get a quickie, he'd given Mia a new cell phone, unknowing to her that it had a tracking device.

For a week, Mia played the good girl and obeyed Aidan's rules. She didn't mind since she had so much work to do and they made sure she got a chance to leave the apartment by taking her out to dinner or to one of their client parties. They had given her the surprise of her life Friday night when Aidan and Kale knelt in front of her in tuxedos and asked her to marry them. Of course, she knew she could only marry one of them, although she felt she was already married to both. They'd given her a diamond ring that had nearly blinded her. She had never worn such a huge rock on her finger. Then they'd taken her out to celebrate with an expensive dinner and stayed in a luxury five-star hotel on the beach overlooking the ocean. Mia felt like a princess that night with all the pampering, loving, and tons of room service.

Mia's worries about the rapist had eased since there were no more news reports of his latest victims. Which was why, when Jasmine called her Wednesday evening telling her she needed her help, Mia flew out of the apartment without thinking twice about her actions.

Kale and Aidan who were on their way home from work were notified immediately when she left. They called her cell but didn't get an answer. Aidan switched over to the map on their phone to see where she was going. Both stared at the red dot making its way to the other side of town, Mia's old neighborhood.

"Why the fuck is she going there!?" Kale yelled furiously.

"Calm down," Aidan told him, "before you run into someone."

Kale was flying down the street with an angry vengeance. "When I get her, I swear I'm going chain her to the damn bed, after I spank her ass."

"I don't understand myself why Mia would suddenly break her promise to stay in and run to the worse neighborhood in the area, it doesn't make sense. She was doing so well for a while," Aidan thought for a moment. "Her friends live there, Jasmine and Joyce, it has to something to do with them I'm sure. The question is what could have happened to make her rush out like she did without calling us first? I don't feel good about this at all." Aidan dialed Mia's number again.

To his surprise, she actually answered the phone. "Mia, what's going on? Why did you leave the apartment?"

"Aidan...AIDAN, KALE!" She screamed into the phone. There was a loud crash, and the phone went dead.

Aidan stared at the phone, his face turning completely pale. His heart began to race from the terror growing inside of him.

"Please tell me that wasn't Mia, please," Kale said his voice hoarse with fear. He had heard her screaming their names.

"God..." Aidan whispered. He dialed the number again knowing she wouldn't answer it, but still he had to try.

Earlier that evening....