- 12 -

toilets

Why did the world feel like drowning? Why did it feel like a loop hole of getting better and worse all the time? Life was a vicious circle and there was only one way out. George wanted to get out of there but he didn't have the courage to do it. He just couldn't do it - not to himself, not to Nick, not even to his family. The part he feared the most though, waking up after trying. He couldn't imagine the embarrassment. He probably couldn't even leave properly. 

He found himself - once again - in a toilet stall, thinking about his life. He didn't want to but after he talked to Nick and he was supposedly walking to class, George didn't even think about where he went. His legs automatically entered the toilets. Little did he know Clay was watching him enter, texting Nick about his location. Nick immediately replied with "smh" and "ill go look after him later". Clay put his phone away to join Will and Toby for their first lesson. 

"George? Are you here? Dumb question. You are. I can see your bag, you know? And your shoes. Could you please answer me and unlock the door? Please? We can stay here, if you want. We can also go to your car, if you prefer that. George?" Nick asked as he walked in. George silently unlocked the stall he was in, facing Nick with even redder eyes. "Come here," Nick whispered. After a few minutes, they were sitting on the floor, George leaning against Nick's shoulder, no one dared to say a word. They ignored any noise surrounding them. 

About an hour later, George was basically half asleep, Nick texted Clay to ask him if he could his spot since he really needed to be in his next class. Clay almost immediately replied saying it'd take him a minute to get there. Nick didn't reply, he started collecting all of his stuff trying his hardest not to wake up George. Firstly, he really needed the nap, secondly, he'd freak out when Clay arrived. 

He slowly opened the door, seeing George sleep like a literal angel. Nick smiled at Clay and said, "you got this" He waited for Clay to get to him before he lifted George's head up and put it down onto Clay's lap. "I don't know what's wrong," Nick said. "He doesn't really talk," he explained. "I'm sure, we'll be fine, Nick. I'll try to get him to sit at with us at lunch," Clay said waving at Nick who was about to leave the toilets.

Clay looked down. His hands stroked George's hair. George unconsciously changed his position, his knees were by his torso, his hand grabbed Clay's thigh.  Clay's heart melted, remembering the night of the party. For Clay, it was probably the best kiss he ever had. Back in Texas, there were mostly girls but he enjoyed kisses with guys more. He just couldn't really say nor do it because he was in a very toxic and homophobic environment. So, naturally, he tried it a few times but nobody but the other person knew about it. He felt like him moving to Europe was one of the best things ever to happen to him. He felt free here. 

George didn't seem to wake up anytime soon. Clay used the time he had to study George's face, stroke through the other's hair and scroll though instagram after a while. He didn't mind his boredom, George was sleeping on him. He felt like that was the best thing to ever happen - the party being the only thing better than that. 

George had his eyes closed but he was awake. He simply enjoyed his hair being touched and the affection he was getting. Soon after, he got bored of it and decide to open his eyes. The first thing he saw, were not Nick's shoes. So, of course, he panicked. "Good morning," Clay said. "Fucking hell," George whispered as soon as he recognized Clay's voice. Nick really sent Clay to keep his best friend company and then left. "Nick needed to go to class, so I came here," Clay said softly. George nodded and turned his face away from Clay. "George, what's wrong?" he asked. "Nothing," he immediately replied. "Don't lie" "It doesn't matter, it's stupid," George said. "If it bothers you, it's not stupid," Clay said. George felt the tears already forming in his eyes. "Don't cry, please don't cry" "I," George said, "I'm not crying" "Look at me then," Clay demanded softly. George only shook his head, Clay laid one of his hands on George's cheek and turned him so he would face him. The other hand wiped away one of the tears already running down George's face. 

"What's wrong?" Clay asked again. George looked down at his lap, "I thought you hated me" "I could never hate you," Clay replied softly. "I," George began talking, "You uhm didn't text me or anything, then you walked away. It's pretty obvious you hate me, Clay. Don't lie. I don't even know why you're here," he said. "I thought you needed time. You left immediately after waking up, I wanted to talk to you on Monday. You never showed up, though. Also, if I wouldn't care about you, I wouldn't be here, George. Don't be silly, I could never hate you," Clay said, "come here" He pulled George in a hug. It was pretty uncomfortable for George though, so he decided to strangle Clay's lab, the American didn't seem to mind. It would've been pretty awkward otherwise.

"Please don't disappear for literal days anymore, George, we were all worried," Clay said. "I'm sorry," George apologized. "Never apologize for feeling bad, it's the number one rule," Clay explained. "I'm pretty sure it isn't" "In America, everything's number one," Clay joked. "Ah yes, America first," George said and smiled a bit. "We're number one in a lot of stuff, like safest country in the world, there are absolutely no issues over there," Clay joked. George chuckled. "And he laughs," Clay said and poked the other's sides. "Oh my god, stop it, you're so cringe," George laughed. "You sure?" Clay asked and George nodded. "I mean, I guess, yeah" 

Clay placed wrapped his arms around George's waist, George's hand automatically went up to the new student's neck. Both of them slowly leaned in, their lips barely even touching as George started smiling. 

It was an innocent kiss, not that heated as the one in the pool.