- 22 -

manipulation

Talking to Will was harder than he had expected. Clay didn't really know how to start the conversation in the first place, Toby being his moral support since he didn't really care about the situation and rather saw it as something good. But in the end, Will promised to be nicer after Clay explained what had happened when he was planning to break up with his (still) boyfriend. George is good at manipulating, be careful, Will had said. Clay was confused as he remembered Nick saying something similar to him. Was George really like that?

Thinking about the breakup, the way George acted, the way his mood could instantly change. Clay originally thought it has to do with his mental issues but he figured it was something that has happened before. Clay would need to talk about it with Niki, too, since she probably knows what's up. He took a mental note to remind him of doing so.

The other classes were way too long as he waiting for lunch. He couldn't sit properly anymore, wanting to stand up and rush to his friends in other classes. That's not how it works, though.

George was surprised with the way Will acted. He was a lot nicer, suddenly speaking to the short one again. Not overly nice, just like friends should be. A few roasts and making fun of each other, nothing that George hasn't heard before or would seriously hurt him. Will knew exactly what would hurt George, so he bit his tongue whenever a thought like that bopped into his mind. Class passed somewhat fast, having a distraction all the time. By the time the two of them got to their usual table at lunch, everybody else was already there.

Nick, Toby and Tommy were talking to each other about video games and Clay and Niki were sitting close to each other, trying to keep their voice low. Clay didn't really get any information out of her. All she said was he'd notice it sooner or later and she didn't want to get too involved in their relationship. After all, George could've changed.

"Hello," Will said and sat down next to Tommy. George just stood there awkwardly after noticing there wasn't any space for him next to his boyfriend. It took Clay probably half a minute to notice him. "Could you scoot over?" he asked Toby who was next to him. "Thanks," George mumbled annyoed. As soon as he was seated, Clay slung his arm around him. "How's it going?" Clay asked. George simply shrugged. "Great, until now," he answered. Clay looked at him confused, "What do you mean?" "You didn't leave any space for me," he grumbled. "Well, you're sitting here now, aren't you?" he asked. "You made me look like a fool," George mumbled, letting his head hang down. "Baby, you never look like a fool, okay?" Clay tried to comfort him. George didn't respond, so Clay hugged him tighter, pulling his legs over his and holding them. The look of pity on his face didn't reach George at all. Instead, he was focused on not beating himself up too much for snapping and being whiny. It wasn't that big of a deal, George.

Recently, he found himself more unhappy with himself than ever, so he simply put all of his attention on Clay. Him wanting to take a break did not help him at all. George thought he wasn't good enough and he promised himself to better himself for Clay. If he was being honest, he didn't understand a word Clay said last night. He didn't know the reason he wanted to break up. His brain shut down, his mind yelling bad words at him. He didn't like himself - not one bit - that break up wouldn't benefit him and his low self-esteem at all. It would crush him; quite literally. Like a huge rock falling into him, throwing him into his beloved spiral of self-hatred and starvation. Clay was proud of him for eating, he felt gross.

George noticed the people around him changing, distancing themselves from the young brunette. So, he clung himself onto Clay, the one person that didn't change. After yesterday, he figured he was the cause of all his and his friend's problem.