Chapter 37

EX Story: The Ape King's Origin Part III

The young Ape King along with his master and the army of armored humans passed by the town, but unlike the buzzling and busy streets they knew before, the town was now only a shadow of its former glory. To put it simply, the town was simply devoid of life. Probably because of that, the air was eerily strange and still. The citizens of the town weren't even there to cheer and properly send their warriors off, the only thing that was relatively close to that was the ominous sound of howling wind, and rhythmic footsteps of the soldiers marching off to war.

Each and every soldier looked at that scene with various emotions, some gazed at it with a painful expression, others frowned and stared at it in pity, while a handful of them burned with more resolve upon witnessing that sight. But for the young Ape King, he couldn't help but compare it to the scenery he saw upon waking up on that burned down forest. Because for some reason, even though there were no ashes and smokes lingering around, the young Ape King could clearly sense the presence of death and emptiness looming in the air.

Just like that, the army of marching soldiers passed by the town. Then after some few more minute of marching under the blazing rays of the sun, the army finally reached their destination.

The place that the army found themselves in was a plain field leading directly towards the town, but when the army arrived at that place, it was already midday and the sun was already shining brightly in the sky. It as if the sun was saying that it would bear witness to what was about to unfold.

Naturally, the army immediately set-up their camp the moment they arrived. Fortunately, it seemed like their enemy had yet to arrive so they still had some time to prepare. And so, while waiting for their enemy to arrive, the soldiers busied themselves on either helping on the preparations or checking up on their equipment. Though clearly, those soldiers were simply doing that in order to not succumb to the suffocating tension on their surroundings. As for the young Ape King, he was guarding his master who was busy leading the army for the preparations for the battle.

In truth, the young Ape King's master had attempted to break their master and servant pact on their way to their way. And in that action, the young Ape King could clearly sense his master's intention of letting him go probably so that he could flee. But despite his master's plea, the young Ape King stubbornly refused and chose to stay and fight till the end at his master's side. In the end, because of his yielding resolve, the young Ape King's master decided to fulfill his partner's wish.

The army waited in that plain for hours. Fortunately, it seemed that the waiting time actually helped because by the time that the enemy had arrived, the tension was already gone and the soldiers' eyes were finally burning with resolve. Though of course, that didn't change their precarious. Because compared to the meager hundreds of soldiers on their side, the enemy's number actually reached about a thousand.

Upon spotting each other's location, both armies immediately lined up in formation facing each other down. But because the area was a plain field, both armies had no other options but face each other head on. And based on their numbers alone, the young Ape King's side was clearly at an overwhelming disadvantage. It may be a bit different if they chose to fight inside the town and employ guerilla warfare, but due to various circumstances, the young Ape King side was forced to confront their enemy like this. Another thing to factor in was the fact that each and every soldier on the young Ape King's side was living in that town, so for those soldiers, sacrificing the town wasn't even an option because that was the same as destroying their family's livelihood.

In a normal situation, an army facing such overwhelming odds would certainly lose their morale. But strangely enough, after the young Ape King's master stood in front of his soldiers and made his speech, it seemed like every fear and tension was completely dispelled causing for the soldiers' morale to rose up to the sky. Then along their commander's vigorous voice, the soldiers stomped the ground and raised a deafening war cry. And even though he clearly didn't understand his master's speech, the young Ape King also raised a roar that resonated along with the soldier's howl.