Chapter 5

Aaah... This is refreshing... I thought as I washed my bloody fur using the water from a small lake. That's right, after I had eaten, I then took a bath. It was even safe to say that this was my first bath since even in that dream, I couldn't remember ever taking a bath. But well, I really went overboard huh?

Looking at the carcass of what was previously a Giant Frog, I couldn't help but smile wryly. I didn't know if it was because of the intense hunger and my natural instinct as a wolf, but when I felt that soft sensation of flesh inside my mouth, I was overcome by an intense desire to devour the entire thing. It was as if my Animal Instinct completely took over my mind.

That was dangerous... I should make sure to prevent that from ever happening again... I may be a Wolf now, but I'll be damned if I completely give in to my instinct and become a mindless monster. As I promised to myself to never give in to my instinct, I gazed at my Status Screen.

I didn't notice it that time, but when I detected the hostile presence of the Giant Frog, my Status Screen completely vanished from my sight. Then after my stomach had become satisfied, I noticed a new notification on the corner of my vision saying that I just leveled up. Maybe I can summon this thing if I focus enough? I asked internally while drying my newly washed fur. With that thought in mind, I experimented trying to turn the notification on and off.

Oh! I did it! It was a success. By focusing my mind, I was able to summon or make the status screen disappear. Nice! I thought while gazing at the level tab.

[Level: 7 – 8]

Two more levels before evolution huh? Man, this is hard. If I need two more levels, then that means that I need to kill more of that thing... Killing one is hard enough and now I need to kill more... Ah, what a pain...

While complaining to myself, I started moving towards the nearest boulder. Of course, after that fierce battle against the frog, my body was tired as hell. I may not be hungry now, but that doesn't mean that my stamina was replenished. I wonder how many Giant Frogs I need to kill to reach level 10? I hope it isn't that much, especially since killing just one of those was this taxing... Feeling drowsy, I laid down in the shadow of the boulder. Aaaahh... I wish I could just evolve quickly...

***

The young wolf ran and ran and ran. Turning his back to the anguished howl of his comrades, the young wolf followed the wish of his brother and ran for his life. Following the path that he and his comrades have traversed. The young wolf ran straight towards their hideout. On his way, the young stumbled countless times. But no matter how many times he fell, the young wolf always stood back up. Fueled by the burning desire to fulfill his brother's wish and inform their father of his brother's bravery, the young wolf managed to temporarily surpass his limits. And by the time the young wolf reached their hideout, his body had become badly battered and was covered in mud.

The next thing the young wolf knew, he was woken up by the sound of battle. Raising his still tired body, the young wolf looked around. The first thing he noticed was that he was inside his home. It was under the roots of a tree which was shaped like a dome. On that dome was a large hole which serves as both an entrance and exit, and outside that hole, the young wolf could clearly hear the sound of battle.

Curious, the young wolf walked outside. As the young wolf went out of the roots shaped dome, he saw that the wolves of his father's pack were running around in panic. Near the roots shaped like a dome where he came from, was the other young wolves huddled together looking anxious and terrified. When the young wolf saw that scene, he had a bad premonition. And so, the young wolf ran towards where the other adult wolves were running to.