Chapter 51

EX Story: The Ape King's Ascension Part II

Their connection was gone...

That was the first thing that the Future Ape King had noticed after waking up. And because he also remembered what had happened before, he blacked out, the Future Ape King couldn't possibly deny the fact that his master died at that time. But after meeting face to face with that human and realizing how powerless he currently was, even his desire for revenge was snuffed out and he fell into the pits of despair. After all, he came to the realization that even if he somehow succeeded to escape and kill that human, there was just no way that he could bring back all of those that he lost.

All of it was gone. Forever out of his reach. Never again would he feel that same warmth. Never again would he return to that time. All these thoughts ate away at his mind.

Honestly, the Future Ape King didn't even know how much time had passed. And while all those thoughts were swirling into his head, some human guards had come into his cage and forcefully brought him out. But because he was lacking any form of desire, he didn't try to resist nor fight back. The next thing he knew, his ears were ringing with the sounds of enthusiastic cheers from the crowd.

As light slowly returned into the Future Ape King's eyes, he saw something solid flying towards the right side of his head. In that instant, danger signals rang into his head and his right arm automatically moved to protect his head.

But probably because he moved out of pure instinct without any real intent behind, the blow wasn't fully blocked and the Future Ape King was sent rolling into the ground. Then, with a high-pitched sound still ringing into his ears, the Future Ape King tried to stand. Unfortunately, his arm was severely damaged from that attack, and so it failed to support the weight of his body causing him to fall back down.

Taking advantage of that chance, a human rushed towards the Future Ape King. And while holding a mace with both of his hands, the human raised it up above his head and swung it down with all his might.

In truth, the Future Ape King shouldn't have any reason left to avoid that attack. After all, his will to live has already diminished after realizing his master's death. But to his surprise, even though he didn't want it to be, he's body moved on its own and rolled to the ground barely dodging that attack. Then using that momentum, the Future Ape King stood up and moved away from his opponent using some well-practiced movements.

Confused at his own actions, the Future Ape King gazed at his hands while repeatedly asking the question why. And strangely enough, every single time he was attacked, the Future Ape King's body never failed to react. Sometimes he would dodge, and when it was impossible to avoid an attack, he would instead block. Though obviously, each and every single one of his movements were sluggish. This was probably due to the fact that there was no clear intent behind those movements. As a result, the injuries in the Future Ape King's body were slowly piling up. But even then, it was still clear to see that it was only thanks to those movements that the Future Ape King was still alive. In fact, it almost seemed like each and every movement was done with that exact purpose in mind. No, that might actually be the case.

It was then that from the very depths of his consciousness, the Future Ape King heard his master's words.

Live... At the very least, you need to survive...

Upon hearing that, the Future Ape King's eyes lit up. And for the very first time during the match, the Future Ape King launched a counter-attack.

*BOOM!!*

A dull sound reverberated through the colosseum as Future Ape King's fist landed on his opponent's weapon. Surprisingly, the human managed to react in time and successfully block that attack using his mace. Despite that, the human was still sent flying backwards after receiving the full brunt impact of that punch.