Chapter 63

Upon realizing that the Gigarillon was gone, I pushed my body up in order to try and search for the missing monster. And while I'm at it, I could also look around in this place in order to pacify these still raging emotions of mine.

It's been a while, huh?

Though I didn't know exactly how much time had passed, it was still pretty clear from the state of these ruins that I had been gone for quite some time. And unlike the last images of this place that was stored within my memory, this former wolf lair was now in tatters to the point that it was almost beyond recognition. In fact, the only reason why I managed to recognize it at first glance was because of my vivid memories of the layout and location of this lair. If not for that, I probably wouldn't even realize that this was "the home" from my memories.

Seriously, those bastard wolves from that accursed Tempest wolf's pack really wrecked this place into pieces... When that thought flashed into my mind, I felt a seething rage rising up from my chest as if trying to devour every reason and sense of self that I had. Damn it!

Realizing that my consciousness was being encroached by those malevolent thoughts, I decided to close my eyes whilst calming down my heart. In the midst of doing that, I also slowed my breathing down in an attempt to cool those fiery emotions that were trying to take over my mind. And after doing that for a while, those powerful emotions and thoughts started to fade away, as I began to regain some of my focus and control at the same exact time.

When I opened up my eyes, I was already back to my calm and rational self. And probably because of those quick-witted actions and decisions that I made, it seemed like I somehow managed to put on a leash on those raging emotions of mine. Because of that, I now felt reinvigorated more than ever before as if some huge baggage was just released from my heart. Though, of course, I still could feel some traces of it from deep within me, so it wasn't as if those emotions were completely gone. That only difference was that I had more resistance now, which decreased the chance of me being taken over by that.

Sorry, that's not gonna happen. With that passing thought, I continued my search for the missing ape all the while exploring the ruins that I once called home.

While moving around in that place, I couldn't stop myself from reminiscing about the past. This is a really strange feeling... With every twist and turn that I made, my vision would always overlap with a scene from my memory. Sometimes, I would even feel some emotions as if I had been the one experiencing those things.

The joy when I was running around and playing together with my siblings. The sadness that I felt every time my sister and I were left behind. The comfortable warmth of living together with my family and the wolves that I cared about. I felt like I really lived through all that. It was as if I was caught up between an illusion and a dream. And the strange thing was, my heart longed for all of that despite knowing the fact that it wasn't me who had experienced all that warmth and love.

Good thing I managed to get some control...

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't help but feel relieved that I managed to acquire some resistance against those emotions. Because if not for that, it wouldn't even be surprising if I was taken over by now. After all, despite being held back by that metaphorical leash, I still felt a bit overwhelmed whenever those emotions would lash out.

"Well done." The voice praised. "Looks like you're starting to learn how to keep your emotions at bay." He continued.

...

At first, I didn't pay any attention to that voice and simply continued my exploration and search for the ape. But after probing the entirety of that lair and coming up with no result, I started to feel a little bit frustrated and bored so I began talking to the voice.