Tell Me Your Name

King Etan strode across the courtyard, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword, his jaw clenched as he waited for news of the Battalion that had been sent north to deal with the wolf problem, a fortnight earlier. They were his best fighters, having eliminated at least a half dozen of the largest packs in his kingdom. Yet the scourge never seemed to be completely vanquished. Even when a village was razed to ground and every warrior in a pack had been killed, their heads separated from their bodies, it always seemed that some of the abominations managed to escape.

Running a hand impatiently through his hair he tousled his short golden curls as he walked into the throne room, his eyes scanning the large, opulent marble space. Lord Fendrel bowed deeply and the King sighed and shook his head. Fendrel only ever bowed so low when he had unsatisfying news.

"One of my men just returned from the North. The Alpha King still rules." Lord Fendrel spoke in a soft voice, his eyes fixed on the King's shoes.

"Don't call him that. He's not a King."

"Yes, your Majesty. It's just what I've been told the other packs are calling him King now. They say-"

"I don't care what filthy wolves say, Fendrel. Tell me what you know. And don't give a mutt a title. He doesn't deserve the honor."

"Yes Sir."

"Go on Fen. I don't have all day. Spit it out. What have you learned. Anything of use? Besides that the mutt still lives despite the fact that I sent my best men."

"The young soon-to-be Captain Bakerson has a younger sister. She's said to be quite fair. Apparently so fair that she caught the eye of our Alpha and he abducted her and took her to his cave in the woods. It was lucky that our Battalion had been sent there at just the right time, Your Majesty. Our Captain Bakerson was able to rescue his sister and she is on her way here. It is said that the further she is from this Alpha the weaker he will become. For she bears his mark on her lovely neck and that binds him to her and her to him."

"She must be very beautiful if he is so enchanted with her, mustn't she be?" The King asked, narrowing his eyes.

"My man said as much. She has hair like the darkest night and skin like cream. Her lips are as red as blood. And the claims that her body is most perfect. But who would want her now? Obviously she's laid with a wolf. And not just any wolf. The Alpha K-" this time Lord Fendrel managed to stop himself, although the king still gave him a sharp look.

"I have heard that it gives wolves great pain when their mates are touched by another man. Even if it is only a kiss. Although who knows if this Alpha will even be alive by the time the girl gets here. We shall see. But it certainly is interesting. And what a small world. Of all the women in the world that he might claim he just so happens to mark our dear Captain's baby sister." The King threw his head back and laughed, showing his strong, straight white teeth.

"You are excused for the day Fen. Send a messenger if you receive any more urgent news. Oh, and plan a masquerade ball for the evening after the Battalion arrives home. We must celebrate their arrival. After all they've done a great many things these past few months. We have half the number of wolves that we had last year at this time."

Etan turned on his heel and walked out of the room, not waiting for Fendrel's reply. With unhurried steps he made his way to his own chambers. The guard at the door nodded, meeting his eyes with a raised eyebrow that immediately told him that the room inside was not empty.

Good. She had done as she was told.

The previous evening the King had done what he often did and went out dressed as a nobleman, but with no sign to give away that he was the King. With a hat pulled low over his eyes, and a jacket with the collar turned up, he stayed mostly in the shadows as he and one of his friends, Brom, who he'd known since they'd been school boys, had a few pints of beer at a local pub.