"Even if it's Painful..."

Dahlia and her brother weren't staying in an inn when they reached Forfax, and Dahlia had a suspicion that her brother had only said that in case the forest they had been riding through had ears that were listening on behalf of her mate. In fact, no one in their party was staying in an inn. Most of the soldiers were staying at the local garrison. Only a few of the officers had broken away from the group once everyone was settled and had ridden away to the local governor's manor.

"I want to stay with the girls. They'll be terrified without me." She'd repeated the words at least three dozen times, but her brother wasn't budging. They were on the fourth, and highest floor, of the magnificent manor house, and Dahlia had already noted that the city governor's own soldiers were guarding their room.

"The answer is no, Dahlia." She jerked her head towards him when she heard him use her full name, because it was something that he rarely did. "The girls would be scared whether you were there or not. You aren't like them. You aren't one of their pack, not really and the sooner you get that through your head the better off you're going to be."

Dahlia crossed her arms in front of her body and stared at her brother, trying to recognize the man who was sitting before her, sorting through at a stack of papers that he had been given the moment that they had arrived at the Governor's home. He was so different than she remembered him, and she had yet to find a difference that she found positive in even the tiniest way.

"They're little girls, Deckard. They're just like I was when you used to protect me from bullies. Except they've been stolen from their homes and you're about to allow some of the men under your command to sell them into slavery."

"They aren't human. They're animals. Actual animals. I've slaughtered a thousand of them on my sword this year. Men, women and children. The only thing we have in common with them, Dahlia is that our blood is red and so is theirs. But we have that in common with the cow who's been slaughtered and turned into a steak, and you'll have no hesitation in eating that for your dinner when it's served to you tonight I imagine."

Dahlia's stomach betrayed her, rumbling loudly at his words and he raised his eyebrows and chuckled. "See what I mean. You just need to remember who you are and who your people are. Now, this is your first introduction into society, or society of sorts. Even news of what happens this far out eventually gets back to the Capital so be on your best behavior. I asked Clio to bring up some dresses when we first arrived and she had a maid bring them up to our bathroom. Go and bathe now and dress for dinner."

Dahlia stood, staring at him, not moving. She wasn't going to cooperate and go along with this, but when she didn't move immediately her brother looked up from his papers for a second time with a frown.

"Dahlia. You need to cooperate with me on all of this going forward. You need me as an ally here and in the Capital. You are my sister and I love you dearly but I will not let you embarrass me or endanger the career that I have spent the last half decade practically killing myself to build." His face darkened with his words and for the first time in his life Dahlia was actually frightened of the older brother who had always been her protector.

"I will save you in this. Even if it's painful and even, so help me, if I have to save you from yourself. If you behave and cooperate I will see that you're rewarded. I know a nice young woman in the Capital who is very forward thinking about these-" his voice trailed off for a moment and he shook his head and rolled his eyes before letting out a great sigh- "creatures. If I bring it to her attention I'm certain that the Lady Calla will move quickly and snatch up these two girls when they go to auction. She has great influence with the king as well, even though it's rumored that she has Fey blood. Although no one would dare say it outloud in polite company since the king favors her so and she's married to Lord General Calla."