Safely Home

"I must get you home tonight, Kitten." His voice sounded husky and deep as he pulled reluctantly away from her. "I promised your grandmother that I would deliver you home safely." He said the words aloud as much as a reminder to himself as anything else.

He offered her his arm again, to hold, and she took it, somewhat reluctant to leave behind the warmth of his arms. The forest was not a frightening place when she was by his side, but she would still have much rather been cuddled up in his arms, feeling those pleasant currents of electricity run through her body each time he touched her. He, however, seemed increasingly distant as they walked along.

Silas went with her, as he had promised all the way to her house, and Dahlia was somewhat surprised when not a single dog barked at him as they made their way across the north side of the town that faced the forest. She'd made that journey a number of times when she'd snuck out on her own and had never made it from one side of town to the other without at least a half dozen mutts attempting to alert their owners that someone was out that shouldn't be.

When she whispered her observation to Silas he simply shrugged and said that dogs tended to either fear him or have an affinity for him, but they seldom barked when they saw him. And so they continued on, completely unobserved, until they came upon the back of her own home and she tugged on his hand to let him know that they had arrived.

Dahlia led him to the backside of the little brick house she'd grown up in, and then she turned and looked at him expectantly, tipping her head up as she stared into his eyes, her full lips parted breathlessly, her eyes wide as if surely now he would sweep her into his arms and take advantage of her, at least in some small way. She'd spent the last couple of years leading on the young men of the village and then turning them away and now, here, was the one man who she would eagerly say yes too, standing, staring at her, and while an hour ago he had seemed overly confident now he almost appeared to be frozen in place.

Silas, stared down at Dahlia, and was certain he'd never seen a more beautiful woman in all his life. The moonlight revealed every detail of her to him, even in the dim light that human eyes might not see, and he delighted in her beauty, but it made it that much harder for him to keep his word. He knew that when he arrived at the house he needed to tell his little mate good night and leave her. Even if it was only for the night, even if he came back to retrieve her the next day, he had given his word and he would keep it. She would be safe at home on that night before he claimed her as his own.

After all if he did not have his word as an Alpha when he spoke to another wolf, even if that wolf was a lone wolf, he had very little of value in the world.

When she pushed back her red hood, which she had pulled up against the chill, and stared up at him with her lips parted, he'd wanted to push her up against the wall of the house and take her then and there. He knew that she wanted him just as badly as he wanted her. He could smell her desire. Her heart was hammering in her chest and her small dainty hand was gripping his arm as if begging him not to go.

For a moment he allowed himself to imagine what it would feel like with her toned, shapely legs wrapped around his hips as he thrust into her, tight little-

"Silas?" she interrupted his thoughts, having finally grown impatient of waiting for him to act. "It seems wrong to just go inside, knowing that we are mates and-" her voice trailed off. She was uncertain exactly how to phrase what it was that she so desperately wanted to say to him. Which was odd for Dahlia. She was so used to playing with the men who wanted her. But here she was, with the one man that she wanted, and she was completely at a loss for words.

"We are mates, Kitten," he leaned forward and lightly brushed a strand of hair back from her forehead, "but I must leave you here with your family tonight. I must return to my pack." He swallowed hard, forcing himself to pull away from the soft touch of her hand. Bending quickly he kissed her forehead and took a step away, breaking off contact all at once, which brought a gasp from Dahlia's lips.