Wolfslayer

"We have to stop and tell them we're passing through. It would be ridiculous to end up starting a war between our packs, when any other Alpha would understand, and likely render aid to you, once they find out about the situation."

Oliver's sensible voice caused Silas' hackles to rise. He didn't need anyone telling him what to do when he was searching for his mate. He felt her presence somewhere vaguely in the far off distance, tugging him forward like a little toy dog on a leash. Besides that there had already been more than one complication since they'd left the witch's cottage. His eyes flicked to the side, narrowing in annoyance.

When they reached the road the warriors that were supposed to be waiting for him weren't there. In their place were Lottie and the old Widow Lemp, who he had to admit may or may not have been older than he was, he honestly didn't know. He'd always assumed she was but maybe she wasn't? Now wasn't the time to ask.

They had come because they thought they might be useful as members of the rescue party. They were both good strong fighters, Silas had to admit that. He knew that Lottie's Alpha husband had trained her personally to fight before he had died and his pack had been strong. And Widow Lemp hadn't survived on her own living in these woods because she was weak. But he didn't need the distraction of his mate's mother and Lottie and Oliver while he was tracking down the people who had taken Dahlia. An irritated growl escaped from between his teeth.

"Go Oliver. Take Lottie with you. You strike the deals with the packs between here and Forfax for safe passage and meet us there. We'll stick to the road and if we run into trouble I'll explain that I've sent an ambassador to their Alpha's already. That should cover all our bases. Just get to Forfax as fast as you can and if she isn't there we push on again"

He heard a faint growl at the suggestion that Oliver take Lottie with him and his mouth curved into a wolfish grin. Take that Beta. Just accept the poor girl. You love her, she loves you. Fuck, if you hadn't forced her, she would have rejected her Goddes-damned Alpha mate and never left you side.

Rarely did Silas feel as if the Moon Goddess made mistakes with mates, but glancing sideways at his friend he felt that this was one of those times. But now was not the time to linger over romances between his friends. He focused his gaze forward. The guards had been here, some hours before, when the road was still light. In the dark they could run in their wolf form and it made tracking the large group easy for them. He wished that he could catch the scent of his little mate, unfortunately it was hidden beneath the overwhelming scent of all the horses that had been in their group.

He guessed that they were in Forfax because that was where most riders stopped who were heading towards the Capital from his forest. It was just about a day's ride at a comfortably slow pace on a horse, with wagons in a large group, and that was the pace that he was certain this large group would be traveling at. Or at least that's what he hoped. If they made it to the Capital his job rescuing his mate would become much more difficult.

"What time do you think we'll get there?" He directed his thoughts at Soren, who's enormous wolf hadn't missed a single beat, his heavy paws pounded steadily against the paving stones of the road as if he could run all night without breaking a sweat. The man was a beast. He probably could. And while Silas had made this trip every few years he knew that Soren had come here regularly to escape life in a pack that he had never felt a part of. Silas was beginning to understand that the other wolf had traveled far more than he had ever imagined.

"A little after midnight. Let's just hope we can figure out where she's staying and that we can get into her room easily. Otherwise we might have to wait until morning and look for an opening and to get her away from those bastards."

Silas' mind whirled at Soren's words. He needed his mate back and he would happily sacrifice his own life to save her from what he knew her fate would be at court. He would win her her freedom. But as his eyes traveled around at the wolves in his party he felt his breath hitch in his chest.