s e v e n t e e n

chapter | seventeen

"[NAME]! YOU'RE WEARING your headband!" Approaching Sakura, who stood beside Sasuke on the red-painted bridge, you smiled. After days of tedious missions, you had finally decided to wear your headband. Earlier, Kakashi-sensei had requested to meet the team for an important announcement, so you decided today would be the best. "It suits you! You should wear it more often, you know." Brushing your fingers against the metal plate that adorned your forehead, you let out a 'hm'. Does she really mean that? Does it really suit you?

"Hey Sakura, [Name]!" Turning toward the familiar voice, you spotted Naruto, who walked excitedly toward the team. As he approached the three of you, he turned toward Sasuke, shooting him a dirty look. Glancing back toward you, his eyes looked up to the leaf headband you had decided to wear.

"You're wearing your headband," He commented, before smiling. "It looks great! Believe it!" Your cheeks flushed, before you adverted your gaze. You appreciated the compliment, but thinking back to what had happened days before, Naruto was one mysterious person. He had given off a very strong, and unusual chakra, but you weren't prepared for what you had saw, There were many things you hadn't known about him, and you were interested to learn more. The imagine of his blood-red eyes, and inhumane growls flashed through your mind. . .

It was half-an-hour later when Kakashi arrived, much to the annoyance of the team. He approached the four of you, smiling cluelessly under his mask. Sakura and Naruto wasted no time bombarding him with questions, which he ignored, much to their dismay.

"Well, I got lost on the path of life today. . ." He laughed sheepishly, rubbing  the back of his head. Lost on the path of life. Simultaneously, your team sweat-dropped. Kakashi never fails to give some lame excuse.

"I've called the four of you here today because. . ." Retrieving four slips of paper from his back-pocket, he held them toward you all. "I recommended you all for the Chunin Exam. Here are the applications. All you have to do is sign the application, and come to room 301 in the academy five days from now at 3:00. I'd like to see you all there, but of course, this isn't mandatory." You were the first to take the slip from Kakashi, while Naruto enveloping Kakashi into an excited hug.

"Chunin Exam. . ." You smiled lightly, staring intently at the slip of paper.

. . .

You walked alongside your teammates in silence, much too focused on your applications to speak. You had thought it over carefully, and ultimately decided to participate in the exam. This was your chance to prove your potential to your fellow classmates, along with many other new ninja. You refused to be seen as weak, or less than. You'd prove to them you could be the greatest ninja.

"I'm taking the exam!" Naruto announced, breaking the silence. He stopped in his tracks, holding the slip of paper above his head for display. "I'll be at the top of the exams! Everyone will see I'm the greatest ninja! Even better than the hokage, believe it!" Sakura glanced back at Naruto.

"The greatest ninja?" Sakura sneered, waving her hand. "You can't be the greatest ninja at the bottom of the class, Naruto." You sighed at Sakura's petty remark, continuing to walk beside Sasuke.

"Are you participating?" You spoke suddenly, taking him be surprise.

He nodded lightly, "Yeah, I am. You?"

You smiled, "Mhm! I'm looking forward to it, actually." He chuckled, much to your surprise.

"Eh? What's so funny. . ." You asked as you furrowing your brows. He continued to laugh, turning to face you as he walked backward.

"I'd like to see that," He responded, "Wouldn't be much to witness."

You smirked at his comment, "Oh, really? Weren't you the one struggling with charka control?" At this, he grew silent. Giggling at his reaction, you playfully punched his shoulder. "We'll see who comes out on top in the end." With that, Sasuke grinned as he waved goodbye, and you watched the Uchiha disappear toward the opposite direction.

"Oof—" Your eyes glanced toward Naruto, who stared down curiously at a box in front of him. That's strange. . . you didn't notice it before. It was covered in poorly drawn stones, which seemed to be an attempt at blending into the stone walkway below. He kicked at the strange box, before hesitantly stepping around it.

"That's weird. . ." Naruto muttered, resting his arms behind her head. As the three of you walked, you could hear the constant shuffling of the box following closely behind. Exchanging confused glances, the blonde had finally decided enough is enough.

"Alright," He yelled, turning to face the box. "What kind've disguise is this?! A perfectly square stone with three perfect holes?! That's too obvious!" Emerging from underneath the box were three younger ninjas.

"I'm Moegi!" The ginger-haired girl posed confidently. Beside her was another boy, who adjusted his glasses.

"Udon," He introduced, sniffling. The final ninja then stepped forward.

"Konohamaru, Konoha's greatest ninja!" Naruto scoffed at the three ninjas.

"I knew it was you," He muttered, before leaning in closely. "What's with the goggles?" The three kids giggled between themselves.

"We're doing what you used to do, big bro!" You couldn't help but gush from afar at their admiration. That's really cute. . . As you continued to watch them bicker, Sakura approached the group, who looked quite upset.

"Naruto! Is she your. . ." Sakura watched in horror as nodded his head in confirmation. In a split second, she sent the Uzumaki face-first into the nearest fence with a punch. Poor Naruto. . .

"Come on, [Name]," She growled as she took hold of your hand, dragging you away from the scene.

Sakura then paused in her tracks, "That ugly, big-foreheaded wench!!" She turned to face the scared kids, and that included Naruto. She began chasing them, and you found yourself breaking out into a fit of laughter.

That is— until Konohamaru bumped into a strange figure.He wore a black jumpsuit, and had purple markings painted onto his face. The headband that he and the two beside him wore looked very familiar— Sunagakure.

"Ow. . ." He muttered, "That hurt."