f o u r

chapter | four

"—AND THIS KUNOICHI here is our brand new classmate. Why don't you go ahead and introduce yourself?"

Iruka-Sensei's words hover in the air, and you aren't sure how to react at first. Dozen's of students had their eyes glued onto your trembling figure, and you struggled to swallow your nervousness. It was your first day at the academy, and you haven't seen this many people in the same room in years— let alone speak to them.

     "I—I'm [Name]... [Name] [Last]..." You manage to sputter, before turning your attention toward the floor, nervously fiddling with your thumbs. You weren't expecting to be placed into the academy so soon. These students would be graduating soon, and you knew you had to work hard to catch up to them. Iruka-Sensei, who hadn't expected such a short response, cleared his throat awkwardly.

     "Ehem, moving on— [Name], why don't you take a seat beside Neji?" In the second column, the third row of seats, a boy stood confidently from his seat, staring down at you in aggravation— yikes. Quietly, you trot up the steps toward your seat, and you take your seat beside the irritated boy.

     "Ah, it's nice to meet you.." You spoke, sending the brunette boy a shy smile. Tapping your nails against the desk, you waited patiently for a response.

     He ignored you.

     You tilted your head in confusion. He was staring intently at the front board— maybe he didn't hear you? Leaning closer toward Neji, you projected your voice much louder than before.

     "I said— It's nice to meet you, Neji-san." Scoffing in annoyance, he had finally turned to acknowledge you.

     "I'm trying to pay attention," He growled through gritted teeth, his ghostly white eyes glaring at you in annoyance. "There's not much time before graduation— I suggest you pay attention instead of pestering me, you fool." Freezing, you were taken aback by his sudden outburst. Crossing your arms stubbornly, you sneered.

     "Please— I'm not even supposed to be in this class." You said matter-of-factly, "If it was my choice, I wouldn't even be in this stupid village!"

     "I don't care. Just shut up already."

     "Ok." You look away, shielding your face in embarrassment. He had shut you down almost immediately. It wasn't your intention to anger him, but it wasn't even your fault— he was being the jerk!! Cringing, you couldn't believe you had already made an enemy during your first day at the academy.

     "[Name], Neji, are you paying attention?" The moment Iruka-Sensei mentioned his name, Neji mentally cursed— what was this girl doing here?! She's ruining everything!! "Graduation is in a few days, you should both be paying attention!"

"Of course, sensei," Neji curtly responded, bowing his head respectfully. Iruka-Sensei directed his attention toward you, which caught you off guard.

    "[Name]; are you familiar with the topics we're discussing today?" Gazing over the blackboard, your eyes wandered over the jumbled mess of words that were written down. You could feel your heart slamming against your ribcage— this couldn't be happening to you.

     "I—" Normally, you'd keep a cool and calm demeanor, but this was probably your worst nightmare; being forced to read when you, in fact, had no idea how to read. "T—Tran... train... Sensei, I don't..." Giggles began to ripple throughout the room, which killed you a little more inside. How embarrassing...

"It's okay to be nervous," Iruka-Sensei reassured, "You don't have to read it aloud if you're not ready. I was once on the road to becoming a genin myself—" As if on cue, a ringing sounded throughout the classroom, signaling that class was officially over. The students stood from their desks so hastily, that you weren't sure what was happening. Mentally sighing, you rested your head against your hand, shifting your gaze toward Neji, who wasted no time filing out of the classroom with the rest of the students. He must hate you already.

Well, so much for your first day...

. . .

     You were sprawled across an open field of grass, admiring the beautiful sight of sakura petals descending from the trees. The events of earlier were long since forgotten, and you exhaled a relaxed breath, feeling a gentle breeze ruffle your [h/c] locks. You felt the warm sun kiss your [s/c] skin, and you closed your eyes, finally at peace— but not for long.

     "... What do you want?" You questioned suddenly, staring up at the person that stood over you. He wasn't at all familiar, but he appeared to be a student from the academy. Great...

     "You can't even read?!" He smirked, forcefully pulling you to your feet. He towered over your short frame, attempting to intimidate you. You suppressed the urge to punch the student in the throat, before turning on your feet, bumping into another student. He stood behind you, grinning mischievously. They began to push you back and forth, as if they were playing a twisted game of 'monkey-in-the-middle'— except you were the monkey.

     "Get off of me, you stupid jerks!!" Pushing one of the boys off of you, you watched as he stumbled to the ground, angry. Standing in-between students, you contemplated on whether you should defend yourself, but the more you thought about your predicament, the more you realized doing nothing would be best. You couldn't afford any trouble. Not now.

"Hey— get away from her, you idiots!!" At the sound of the voice, the group of boys took off, a small, white dog right on their tail. "Get em', Akamaru!!" Regaining your composure, you cleared your throat in embarassment, turning to face your 'savior'. Approaching you quickly, a boy began to pant, staring up at you intently. His red-tattooed cheeks had suddenly flushed— most likely from running so fast.

"I—" He stuttered nervously, oblivious to the miniature dog that approached him, rubbing up against his calf. Coughing, he looked away in embarrassment, blushing. "Uh— y-you're that girl who can't read, right?" Growing hot in the face, you scoffed angrily, much to the boy's surprise.

"Just leave me alone— I can read!!" You argued, and you began to walk in the opposite direction. "Ugh, I hate this village!!" Unsure of what to say, the brunette boy stood, watching as you disappear around the corner. Clutching his burning cheeks, he let out a pleased sigh.

"Akamaru, I— she's amazing..."