f i v e

chapter | five

FOR THE NEXT few days, you've explored the interesting village of Konohagakure, avoiding any interaction between your classmates back at the academy. During your spare time, you've picked up spare jobs, such as flower shops, to pay your apartment expenses. You're not getting hired much, seeing as everybody believes you to be some type of criminal— which they're not completely wrong about...

As you casually stroll down the street of Konohagakure, you come across a small building, the word 'library' painted in black ink above the front entrance. Curiosity begins to draw you in, and you find yourself entering the building.

When you hear the bell above the door go off, you jump, startled. Snapping out of your trance-like state, you glance around the library, the inhabitants of the building focusing solely on you. You momentarily blush in embarrassment, before ducking behind one of the dozens of library shelves in an attempt to hide. Sighing in relief, you begin to browse through the hundreds of books that were laid out in front of you— of course, not know what any of them were about. Pulling a random book from the shelf, you make your way toward an empty table, then flipped to a random page. If you were going to practice reading, why not start here?

"—And then she...." You squinted your eyes from an immense amount of confusion. "..sm... smi..."

     "If you can't read, why're you in a library?" An unfamiliar voice questioned as they lower themselves into the seat beside you. Tensing, you nervously glance beside you, locking eyes with bright, emerald orbs. You suddenly— desperately want to run out of the building, but it's too late now.

    "I—I can read," You do your best to ignore the sympathetic stares the girl gave you, and you flip to the next page in your book. "It's just been such a distraction moving to a new village." Scoffing in annoyance, the girl plucks the book from your fingers, before pulling you to your feet.

     "I'll help you find an easier book," She said, leading through the dozens of bookshelves. "If you start practicing now, you'll be able to pass any written exams back at the academy. Well— at least you'll be able to read the questions." You followed silently as she sorted through the many books placed along the shelf. Her pink-colored hair framed her face beautifully, and you couldn't help but envy her slightly. Now that you've thought about it, wasn't she a student back at the academy? What was her name?

     With a surprised gasp, the girl whirled around to face your figure, holding a finger against her lips. "Shh!!" She hissed, before dragging you toward a shelf of books, peeking through a small opening in-between them. Curiously, you brought your eye up to the peek-hole, your cheeks brushing up against her pale face. In the next section over, stood none other than Kakashi, an orange book held firmly within his hands, his green vest easily labeling him as a jounin. He brought the book closer to his face, his silver-colored hair shielding the cover from view.

"What's he reading?" You questioned, your eyes squinting to make out the cover of his book. Waiting a few moments, the girl began to lean closer, watching his movements closely. Suddenly, her eyes widened, and she stumbled back in surprise, colliding into the bookshelf behind her.

"IS THAT A PORNO?!" She screeched, her cheeks flushing in embarrassment. Gasping, you turn your attention to Kakashi, who had disappeared within a split second.

"He heard you, damn it!" You whispered-yelled, grabbing her by the hand and pulling her toward the exit. "He's going to kill us!!" As you neared the exit, the two of you froze, two hands gripping each of your shoulders— hard.

"Hey." His voice spoke in-between your heads, sending shivers down each of your spines. "Is there a reason you two were watching me, Sakura, [Name]?"

"I—I— We were looking for a few books a—and..." The academy student, presumably Sakura, had began to trail off, her face beginning to pale in fear. Her words were jumbled together, and she wasn't able to speak a coherent sentence without stuttering profusely.

"Is that so," He spoke in an eerily calm tone of voice, his fingers tightening around the both of your shoulders, squeezing your flesh.

. . .

"RUN!" You hollered, gripping Sakura's hand firmly within yours as you ran down the street, a large cloud of dust trailing behind you. Flipping to the next page within his newly purchased novel, Kakashi leaned against the door of the library, his eyes wandering across the first page, a light blush dusting his cheeks. He was completely oblivious to you and Sakura's disappearance.

That day, you've finally made your first friend of Konohagakure.