t h r e e

chapter | three

YOU SHOULD PROBABLY be feeling like a nervous, jittering wreck as you stand outside of the Hokages office, surrounded by dozens of jounin, the blades of their weapons pointed solely toward you, but instead, you felt a strange feeling of curiosity begin to overtake you as you stepped through the doors of the Hokage office. Upon entry, the Hokage abruptly stood from behind his desk, watching intently as you entered the room, side-by-side with Kakashi.

     "I've heard many stories about you," He spoke, stepping out from behind his desk. "None of them are positive, unfortunately..." At the sight of the Hokage, you felt your pulse treble, your breath hitching in your throat. As the Hokage approached you, you discover his eyes are a light-caramel color, similar to the two liver spots that covered his left cheek.

     "Ah, yeah. . ." You chuckled nervously, shifting your weight from one foot to the other. "I assume you've heard these stories from the Raikage. . . he's not a big fan of me." The silence was extremely uncomfortable as the Hokage's eyes wander over your petite figure. Over the years, you've become tough, wandering-nin, more specifically, a rogue ninja, but under the scrutinizing gaze of the Hokage, you were ninety percent sure you were on the brink of tears.

     "Now, let's get to the point— I won't be releasing you from Konohagakure." Startled by the sudden change in subject, you blink confusedly at the Hokage. "You're a criminal, yet you're just a child. I'm obligated to keep you here."

     "But— there's no way you can do that!!" Your throat constricts, and you can feel your chest beginning to tighten anxiously. Placing a comforting hand onto your shoulder, Kakashi squeezed, attempting to be as morally supportive as he possibly could. He was much too familiar with how you were feeling.

"It's my duty as a Hokage to take you in." Clenching your jaw tightly, you stared up at the Hokage, despite the tears that threatened to fall. "I've arranged for you to keep your apartment. In fact, I've been looking to arrange you into Konohagakure's ninja academy."

     "What? I don't think that—"

     "Nonsense, a kunoichi of your age should be enrolled into a ninja academy, improving their skills as a ninja." His expression transforms into one of compassion and sympathy. "No child should ever have to resort to rogue status in order to survive." You begin to nod understandingly, your [e/c] eyes wandering toward the floor.

As much as you're reluctant to admit it, settling in Konohagakure may as well be the best thing that's happened to you in— well, forever. You've finally been given a second chance to lead your life as a normal kunoichi, without having to fight for your survival. Your expression changes into of of genuine gratitude, and you smile, bowing respectfully toward the Hokage.

"Thank you, Lord Hokage," You say, earning a look of astonishment from the surrounding jounin, including Kakashi. "I give you my word; you won't regret this." The Hokage takes a few moments to process what you have said, before pressing his thin lips into a pleased smile. Despite your questionable rogue background, the Hokage took notice of your genuine appreciation for his offer— more like demand.

There's a stretch of silence as the Hokage settles his gaze onto you, his cheerful demeanor suddenly transforming into one of nervousness. His stomach began to churn, the chakra that was beginning to emit from you resembling a punch to the gut. No doubt— he had to keep a close eye over you.

The chakra radiating from your figure was one of pure evil.

. . .

     "You're seriously considering enrolling her into the ninja academy, aren't you?" Kakashi, who was seated across from Hiruzen Sarutobi, watched as the Hokage flipped through multiple documents that were seemingly unimportant. Currently, the Hokage's office was occupied by the two, the rest of the jounin carefully escorting the girl back to her apartment. Doubt, and a handful of many different emotions were visible upon Kakashi's face, but before he could throw in any other comments, the Hokage shook his head disapprovingly.

"You've become less and less trusting of me, haven't you, Hatake?" Pausing, Hiruzen placed the pile of papers onto his desk, turning his full attention toward the silver-haired ninja. "Enrolling the girl into the academy will be the best thing for her. It's apparent she doesn't know how the real world functions." There's a quiet pause as Kakashi processes what Hiruzen has said, before speaking once again.

"The chakra radiating from her—"

"It's powerful, isn't it?" Kakashi nods in agreement, wordlessly. "It's similar to the nine-tails; strong— yet evil. Placing her into the academy would guarantee she'd be watched over at all times." There's a fraught pause between the two men.

"We're not sure what we're dealing with here," Hiruzen began. "I'm not entirely sure which team she'd be best with, either..." For a second, an eerie silence falls between the men, their gaze locking onto each other.

They had no clue what they were getting into.