n i n e

chapter | nine

"YOU'RE LATE," Sakura and Naruto scolded in unison, watching in annoyance as Kakashi strolled toward team seven, smiling sheepishly under his black mask.

     He scratched his neck nonchalantly, "I apologize, a black cat crossed my path so I had to take the long way." Kakashi cleared his throat, ignoring the disapproving glares he received from the four of you. Retrieving a timer from his backpack, Kakashi placed it onto an abandoned log, setting the time for the afternoon.

"Alright, the clock is set for noon," Reaching into his pocket, Kakashi pulled out three bells, dangling them for the four of you to see. "Your assignment is very simple; all you'll need to do is take these bells from me. That's all there is to it." He jiggled them, before shoving them back into his pocket.

"If you fail, you'll go without lunch." Naruto gasped, covered his mouth in fear. "—You'll also be tied to one of those logs, and forced to watch as I eat my lunch in front of you." Sakura pouted, before blinking in confusion.

"Wait— there's four of us, so how come there's only three bells?" Kakashi chuckled.

"That's because only one of you will end up being tied to a post, and ultimately be disqualified for failing to complete the mission." Then, his demeanor grew serious. "That one will be sent back to the academy." Your [e/c] eyes widened in surprise at this. Will one of us really fail?

"All forms of weapons are allowed— including shuriken. You'll need to be prepared fo kill me if you want to pass."

Sakura furrowed her brows, "Isn't that a bit dangerous, sensei?"

Naruto chuckled, crossing his arms cockily. "Especially since you weren't able to dodge that eraser." Kakashi stared down at Naruto, unaffected.

"You're a class clown, Naruto. They're usually the weakest links; losers, actually." Ignoring the fuming Naruto, Kakashi turned his attention toward the entire team. For a split second, you could see his eye trained onto you, taking you by surprise. He was most interested in seeing your level of skill, wondering what a kunoichi like yourself could manage after having to fend for herself in the real ninja world.

"When I say start, you may begin." Brushing off your sensei's directions, Naruto pulled a kunai from his weapon holster, before charging at Kakashi in a blind fit of rage. Within a split second, Kakashi appeared from behind Naruto, twisting his arm behind his back and holding his own kunai against him.

"Don't be in such a hurry," He spoke, shoving Naruto forward. "I didn't even say start." Stumbling, Naruto turned to face Kakashi, rubbing his throbbing wrist.

"—But, you came at me with the intention to kill." He grinned. "I think I'm starting to take a liking to you guys." Taking a step away from your sensei, the four of you got into a ready stance, keeping your eyes trained onto Kakashi.

"Ready. . ." He muttered, eyeing each and every one of your faces. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath, before opening them back up.

"Start!"

. . .

"Ninja's must know how to conceal their movements, and hide effectively," Huffing, you stared at Kakashi from across the field, concealing yourself within a large thorn bush. Nice job, [Name]. . . You scolded yourself, before turning your attention back toward your sensei. Blinking, you let out sudden gasp— Naruto was standing right across from him!

He grinned, "You and me, right now, fair and square— let's go!" Kakashi stared at the blonde-haired ninja in disbelief. He was astonished by his utter stupidity.

"Compared to the others, you're a bit. . . odd." Naruto scoffed, taking a threatening step forward.

"Oh, yeah?! Well, the only thing weird here is that haircut of yours!" Pushing off of his right foot, he began charging at Kakashi, letting out a battle cry. He has to be joking! Kakashi began to reach into his weapon holster, bringing Naruto to a halt. He watched him carefully, waiting to see his first move.

"Shinobi Battle Techniques, Part One; Taijutsu, the physical art," Kakashi suddenly pulled out a book, taking both you and Naruto by surprise. "What're you waiting for? Make your move." Naruto began stuttering in confusion, unsure of how to respond to Kakashi's sudden move.

"Damn it," You muttered, crawling out from within the bush. If you want to get one of those bells, you'll need to approach Kakashi carefully. Retrieving a kunai from your holster, you hopped onto a nearby tree, making your way through the branches.

"Naruto, get out of there, quick!" Turning your attention toward said ninja, you watched in shock— and disgust, as Kakashi shoved two fingers up his rear, send the poor kid flying into a nearby lake. A thousand years of death? He can't be serious . . .

"[Name]."

You flinched, hearing a familiar voice call your name— Sasuke. You had never actually spoken to him before, and hadn't recognized him from anywhere around Konoha. He seemed like quite the loner type, and didn't seem to appreciate company. You slowly turned to face the Uchiha from your crouched position, resisting the urge to run and hide.

     Sasuke's eyes watched you carefully, before he nonchalantly looked away, "Naruto's an idiot," He spat, watching as a handful of his shadow clones began to charge at Kakashi. You had to admit— you were impressed. Not even you were able to replicate that many shadow clones at once. As they charged, a shadow clone appeared from behind Kakashi, restraining his arms behind his back.

     "He got me from behind?!" Kakashi exclaimed. You watched in disbelief as Naruto's shadow clones began to engulf him.

     "This is for nailing me in the butt earlier!" Naruto exclaimed, charging at Kakashi with a fist, ready to attack. "You're mine, and so are those bells!" As his punch landed, smoke has suddenly surrounded them, and you gasped in shock.

     "Huh?! What happened?!" As the smoke dissipated, it revealed Kakashi— who had suddenly transformed into Naruto?! Pausing, Naruto pointed accusingly.

     "You're Kakashi-sensei?!" The shadow clone shook his head frantically, before a full-out brawl broke out between Naruto and the entirety of his shadow clones. Sasuke scoffed, shaking his head disappointedly.

     "He got you with a replacement jutsu. . . loser." Standing up from his crouched position, Sasuke prepared to leave— but not before you let him know what you had to say.

     "He's not a loser, so don't call him that." Turning to face you, Sasuke blinked.

     "What?"

     You averted your eyes, turning your head slightly. "I said he's not a loser. He tried his hardest out there, even though he failed." Staring back up at Sasuke with unwavering eyes, you stood to meet his level. "He had the guts to go out there— unlike you." Sasuke stared back at you in silence, his onyx eyes emotionless. He then disappeared within the surrounding trees, but not before you caught his lips curling into an amused smile. You frowned before turning your attention back toward Naruto, who had spotted something just below a nearby tree.

     His eyes lit up, "A bell?! My attack really did work!"  As he approached the shining object Naruto let out a sudden yelp when he was suddenly lifted from the ground, a rope wrapped around his ankle. You shook your head, letting out a sigh of disappointment at his naivety.

"You idiot. . ."