f i f t e e n

chapter | fifteen

THE NEXT DAY, your team- besides Naruto, who slept in for the day- had woken up early to escort Tazuna to the bridge. You walked beside Sakura, who had been gushing over Sasuke the entirety of the walk. She was an amazing friend, but she could definitely talk your ear off. . .

"He's so perfect. . ." She whispered, blatantly fawning over the Uchiha. Your [e/c] eyes lingered over Sakura, before drifting toward the back of the Uchiha's head. Puffing your cheeks, you blushed slightly. He was conceded, but you had to admit he was kind've. . . cute. He was a skilled ninja as well, and that only added to his attractiveness. Suddenly, you panicked as he turned his head, locking eyes with you.

"You're staring. . ." He smirked, watching your cheeks flush wildly in embarrassment. Crossing your arms, you huffed, looking away angrily. You definitely weren't staring for that long. . . were you?! He's so infuriating. . . Then, you paused, the faint scent of iron beginning to invade your nostrils. It couldn't be. . .

Stopping in his tracks, Kakashi raised his hand, signaling for everyone to stop. Following his gaze, your breath hitched at the sight laid out in front of you. The scattered bodies that had been brutally murdered felt all-too-familiar, and you knew there was only one rogue-nin who could have committed this brutal crime. . .

"Back to back!" Kakashi ordered, and everyone quickly complied. You raised your kunai in defense as Zabuza's mist slowly began to accumulate.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting, Kakashi, I see you've still got those brats with you. . ." Zabuza's voice rang throughout the mist, confusing your team of his whereabouts. Clones began to surround the six of you, one in particular approaching Sasuke closely. " This one's trembling. . ." Staring back at the clone, Sasuke's lips curled into a smirk.

"I'm trembling. . . with excitement."

"Do it, Sasuke." Kakashi ordered. Nodding, Sasuke charged toward the clones, slashing their chests with seconds. He quickly returned to his spot, raising his kunai in defense once again.

"He's improved," Zabuza commented. Suddenly, the same masked ninja appeared beside him, staring at Sasuke with interest. "You've got a rival, Haku."

"So it seems." Haku responded quietly.

Sasuke and Haku then charged toward each other, engaging in a dangerous battle of kunai. They matched speed, their kunai's clashing together with each attack. Stepping closer toward Tazuna, you sniffed the air in search of Zabuza's scent. You couldn't forget the mission at hand, and if that meant sacrificing yourself to complete the mission, then so be it. Squinting through the mist, you watched as Haku created a sphere of floating ice mirrors, surrounding Sasuke within his icy trap. Shaking your head, you forgot your worries. Sasuke was a very skilled ninja, and you believed in him enough to defeat Haku. In a split second, Sakura ran toward said ninja, kunai in hand.

Reaching forward you yelled, "No, Saku-" Suddenly, your words were cut short by a familiar rogue nin, who stared down at you menacingly.

"You're not going anywhere, [F/n]." He spoke threateningly. Grasping the back of your collar, Kakashi pulled you behind him, protecting both you and Tazuna. The two adult ninjas exchanged deadly glares, which made you uneasy. A sudden explosion then grasped the attention of everyone, interrupting the scene. Emerging from the aftermath of smoke appeared none other than Naruto, everyone's favorite knucklehead ninja.

"Naruto Uzumaki is here," He announced, "Believe it!" Pointing proudly, he explained, " In stories, the hero usually shows up late, then kicks everyone's butt? Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do right now!" At that, everyone sweat dropped. He's so clueless. . .

"What an idiot. . ." Kakashi mumbled, unaware of him speaking aloud. You nodded in agreement. Seriously, he's a complete idiot. . . Retrieving a handful of shuriken needles from his holster, Zabuza threw them toward the blonde, much to his surprise.

"Naruto!!" You reached for your own shuriken, throwing them with perfect speed and accuracy. Your shuriken were able to cancel out Zabuza's own attack, much to everyone's surprise. The atmosphere grew heavier. Sasuke and Naruto were in danger, yet Kakashi had no choice but to stick beside the bridge-builder. You were a skilled ninja, but you knew Zabuza, and you knew you wouldn't be able to handle him alone. As Kakashi and Zabuza engaged in battle, you grasped Tazuna's arm, directing him further away from the danger.

"Oi, you're not too bad of a ninja. . . " Tazuna chuckled nervously, struggling to see through the thickening mist. You lost sight of the rest of your team, much to your dismay. Closing your eyes, you sniffed the air. You weren't able to see through the mist, but your nose never failed you. Quickly, your eyes flew open, and you raised your kunai.

"Stand back," You warned, before rushing forward. "He's here!"