e i g h t

chapter | eight

     YOU CRADLED YOUR head in-between your arms, sulking as you trained your eyes onto the classroom door with a blank stare. Once lunch had ended, you and Sakura made your way back to the classroom, meeting up with the rest of team 7. After you finished introducing yourself to the rest of the team, a word hadn't left your mouth since. Now, the four of you were waiting for your team-assigned Jounin to arrive— who was supposed to show up two hours ago!!

"Naruto, just sit down!!" Sakura pleaded, watching the blonde-haired ninja peek out the classroom door for the hundredth time. Turning to face her, he huffed, crossing his arms stubbornly.

"No, I don't want to!!" He shouted, pulling up a stool beside the classroom door. "Everyone's already met their sensei, and we're stuck here while they're all off on some adventure!! It's not fair!!" You watched in surprise as he climbed on top of the stool and began to wedge an eraser in-between the door, smirking deviously.

Sakura gasped, "Naruto, what're you trying to pull?!" The tone of her voice suggested she was enjoying this much more than she wanted to admit, and you chuckled in amusement. She glanced back at you, giving you a disapproving shake of her head.

"That'll never work," A sudden voice spoke, earning the attention of the three of you. Sasuke. . . "This is a Jounin we're talking about, do you really think he'd fall for something like that?" Sasuke stared at the scene with disinterest, his hands folded casually. Sakura nodded in agreement, glaring at Naruto in annoyance.

"He's right, Naruto!! A Jounin would never fall for something like. . ." Sakura was interrupted as a gloved hand slid the door open, revealing a familiar head of silver hair. The four of you froze as the eraser came crashing down against their head, a puff of dust falling to the floor.

You stood in surprise, "Kakashi?! You're our sensei?!" Ignoring your rhetorical question, Kakashi dusted the chalk from his hair, studying the four of you in complete silence.

"Hah, I got him!! Did you see that?!" Naruto threw his head back as he laughed hysterically, wiping the tears of amusement from the corners of his eyes.

Sakura piped up, "Sensei, I—I told Naruto not to do it!!" His laughter was cut short once Sakura landed a punch to the back of his head, scolding his immature behavior. She recognized him from the library, and his current silence was beginning to make her uneasy. It was quiet as Kakashi reached down to retrieve the eraser, staring blankly at the object.

"Hmm," He hummed, rubbing his masked chin as he looked back at the four of you. The tension in the air was beginning to make you uncomfortable, and the annoyed look in Kakashi's eye made your skin crawl. "My first impression of the four of you. . ."

"You're all idiots."

. . .

     "Let's introduce ourselves." You buried half your face in your crossed arms that laid on your knees as you stared at your new sensei, observing him closely. As you stared, you realized just how little you really knew of him. "State your names, hobbies, likes, dislikes, your dreams, and hobbies. You know, things like that." Kakashi had brought team 7 to the roof of the academy, and you all had made yourself comfortable, awaiting his first instruction— and this was it.

"Why don't you go first sensei?" Naruto asked. "You know, so we can see how it works?" Kakashi raised his eyebrow in surprise as he leaned farther back against the roof railing.

"Oh, you'd like me to go first?" Kakashi questioned, earning a few nods from your team. "Well, my likes and dislikes. . . I have no intention of telling you that. As for my dreams. . ." He trailed off, before moving on. "I have no hobbies." Your eyes burned holes into Kakashi's face, and he took notice of your intense stare, but chose to ignore you. His vague answers made you even more curious to get to know more about him.

Sakura sighed, "All we learned was his name. . ."

Kakashi's eyes flickered toward Sakura. "Ah, you." He spoke, taking her by surprise. "I remember you— from the library, correct? Why don't you go first?" You sat silently as you listened closely to everyone's introductions. You learned of Sakura's intense infatuation for Sasuke, Naruto's serious love for ramen, and Sasuke's eerie goal. The uneasy aura that surrounded him made your stomach turn. Revival of his clan? Just what happened before you came to Konoha?

". . . and you?"

You snapped out of your thoughts, dread settling in your stomach once you took notice of Kakashi's eye that stared down at you. You bit your lip, quiet for a minute. "My name. . . is [Name] [Last]."

"Your likes and dislikes?" Kakshi ushered you to continue sharing. He could tell you were uncomfortable— especially in front of more people than you were used to.

". . . I like. . . Ichiraku Ramen." You said confidently, earning Naruto's attention. Now he was interested in what you had to say. "I don't like. . . being around too many people." Pausing, you thought back on what hobbies you enjoyed. Do you really even have any hobbies?

You were silent for a moment. ". . . I don't have any hobbies. . ." It came out like more of a sudden realization. The more you thought about it, you really didn't have any hobbies. Your life outside of Konohagakure was pretty simple; travel, fight, survive. Occasionally, you'd make an appearance in a village or two, making yourself known to a few people. The Raikage, especially, wasn't a very big fan of you.

     "What?!" Sakura exclaimed, "That's impossible, there has to be something you like to do, right sensei?" Naruto nodded in agreement, crossing his arms against his chest.

     "You have no hobbies?" He repeated, "Isn't that kind of. . ." He trailed off.

     "I answered the question," You snapped, taking them by surprise. Ignoring their confused stares, you continued. "I dislike being around people. I'd rather be alone."

     Naruto's face paled. ". . .Isn't that kind of creepy?"

     You looked down, ignoring his comment. Your dreams. . . You haven't given those much thought before— this was your first. "My dreams. . ." You paused, searching your mind for a dream— anything. After a moment of silence, you looked back up at your teammates, meeting their curious eyes.

"My dream. . . is to become something— anything. Someone important in the ninja world. . ."

". . . A hero."