o n e

Los Feliz, LA 2020

amelia patterson walked towards her locker as the bell rang from class, opening it up and placing her books inside with a sigh. she glanced at the photo taped on the inside of the door of her locker. it was an image of her parents and her brother, her brother died in 1995 and she never got to meet him, but she likes to think by looking at his picture she is connected to him.

"hey meels" her best friend, julie popped up beside her and unlocked her own locker.

"hi jules" amelia smiled shutting her locker and giving her attention to her friend "how are you feeling about later?"

"i'll know in the moment" julie answered.

the pair had music class together, but julie hasn't sang a note since her mom died a year ago. amelia knew how her friend felt, after losing all her confidence after her second mom died. but amelia still wrote music, and made the deal with mrs harrison that as long as she kept composing songs she could stay in music class. julie, however, didn't have that luck, and it was her final chance to stay in the music program today.

"i'm sure it'll be fine, don't worry" amelia smiled placing a hand on her shoulder 

"hey underachiever" flynn grinned at julie "hi millie"

"hey disappointment" julie and amelia chorused

"so i know you don't want me to ask, but have you figured out what your gonna do today?" flynn asked julie

"i'll know in the moment" julie shrugged

flynn gave her a disapproving look "really jules? that's all your giving me? mrs harrison said this is your last chance"

"i know. i was there"

suddenly another figure appeared by the trio "hey babe" amelia's boyfriend, ollie, smiled and pecked her lips

"hey" amelia smiled in return as his hand slid around her waist.

"see you at the rally!" carrie's high pitched, squeaky voice called

"ugh, what's she handing out?" amelia grumbled

ollie sniggered "be nice"

"desperation?" flynn questioned

carrie walked over with a fake smile "here you go, my groups performing at the spirit rally tomorrow. i'm sure you guys have nothing better to do?"

"oh my gosh, carrie thanks!" flynn said sarcastically

"oh my gosh, flynn don't bother coming" carrie said with the same amount of sarcasm.

while julie was drooling over nick and flynn was reprimanding her for it, amelia turned to look at her boyfriend. "what's up?"

"just wanted to see how you were doing before music class" ollie smiled at her

"i'm okay"

"are you gonna sing?" he asked

amelia shook her head "no, i'm giving my song to jules"

"i don't understand why you don't sing in front of people" ollie sighed

amelia rolled her eyes "easy for you to say, you and savannah are doing a duet"

out of nowhere a perky blonde appeared next to ollie. she placed her hand on his shoulder and sent him a flirty smile "hi ollie, you ready for music class?"

"hey sav, heck yeah, we're gonna kill it" ollie grinned letting go of amelia and turning his back to her.

amelia rolled her eyes facing back to julie and flynn. "... only one of them has to be a demon to make a demon baby" flynn commented before yelling "DEMON!"

the three of them turned as carrie glared at him "there's julies smile" amelia grinned

"what happened to...?" julie trailed off noticing that her best friends boyfriend flirting with the blonde girl "oh"

"yeah"

"come on, let's go prove everyone wrong" flynn grinned

the three of them linked arms, amelia glanced at her boyfriend, who didn't seem to notice her, with a sigh she walked away with her best friends.

~*•*~

amelia sat anxiously in music class, her hand clasped in her boyfriends, who was rubbing his thumb over the back of it. nick was performing a guitar riff for the class, which amelia had to admit was pretty good. everyone applauded as he finished his solo.

"nice job nick. almost as impressive as your game against glendale" mrs harrison complimented "okay, one last performance, julie? amelia?"

"she can have my song" amelia commented quietly

julie and amelia stood up, and walked over to the piano. amelia sat next to julie as moral support, she propped her book on the stand, then watched as julie lifted the piano cover with a sigh.

"take your time julie" mrs harrison said 

her hands hover over the keys before she stands and shakes her head "i'm sorry" she said before she bolted

"is this where we clap?" carrie smirked

"why doesn't amelia sing?" savannah asked with false innocence

amelia scoffed before running out after julie, flynn following them. "julie!"

"julie"

"where are you going?" amelia asked "you need to get back in there and show them you can sing!"

"i can't do this anymore!" julie cried "i've tried for you two, i've tried for mrs harrison, i've tried for my dad and i've tried for my mom. but i just can't do this anymore. i'm done"

"julie!" flynn called but julie just ran out of the building.

amelia sunk down on the stairs, sobbing quietly as she watched her friend give up on her passion. flynn sat next to her, amelia rested her head on her shoulder and flynn rested hers on top of her head. "i get it, rose gave me my confidence and now she's gone i've lost it. my parents are trying to support me and push me to sing, but it's hard for them because of my brother" amelia explained. flynn and julie knew amelia had a brother who died, but that's the only information they had got out of her.

"we need to help her work this out, we can't stop until she tries, then we'll help you" flynn smiled slightly squeezing her hand.

~*•*~

the patterson household was usually quiet, with the exception of amelia's music playing softly in the background. amelia like to sit at the kitchen table with her homework and play music, whilst filling her mom in about her day at school. today was no exception to that, except ollie was with her.

"hey honey" emily smiled as her daughter wondered into the kitchen "hiya ollie"

"hi mrs patterson" ollie replied

amelia kissed her moms cheek "hi mom"

"how was school?" emily asked

"it was okay. julie got kicked out of music" amelia sighed "i don't know how to help her, it's not fair"

"i mean she didn't sing for a year, so they had reason to kick her out, other people deserve to be in there more" ollie commented

"that's not fair" amelia snapped at him "you don't know what it's like to lose someone"

he just shrugged "i was just saying" his phone pinged in his pocket, he picked it up and chuckled, before looking up at his girlfriend "i need to go, sav wants to see me. see you tomorrow" he kissed amelia's cheek before walking out the house without another word

"did something happen between you two?" emily asked

"no, he's just being weird with me, and he keeps hanging out with savannah" amelia mumbled

"i'm sure it's fine" emily squeezed her daughters shoulder.

"i'm gonna walk to julie's" amelia said "i'll be back around 7 for dinner"

"okay sweetheart"

amelia smiled at her mom before grabbing her jacket and walking out of the house, forgetting to grab her phone.