8. The Little Thief

I had no idea how long I've been in those tunnels without returning to the surface. My body too weak and my mind too scared to leave. When I was awake, I scavenged what I could. From things we could burn to keep our little fire going, to water and food, which mostly consisted of dead rats. Only ever venturing relatively close, so that I didn't get lost in the maze of the tunnels we lived in. There was a door down there, likely sealed shut ages ago, made of some kind of metal. It was the only door I saw since I got here and it made a great marker for me as it was just far away enough for me to go while remembering my route. I shut down and fell into the horrid routine of this strange life I was stuck in. I haven't changed since I left my home back in Summerlands. And I haven't showered even longer. The dirt clung to my clothes and the skin underneath and I smelled awful. My hair no longer had their bright color or the shine. Now they were stuck together with dirt and frost. I'd give anything for shower and a hairbrush, but what would be the point? Down here, hygiene was the last thing on your mind.

Today was the first day I felt strong enough to open one of the lids above me and climb up to the surface. I was greeted by the darkness of the night. Disappointment stung in my chest briefly as I'd hoped to see the sun. But who knew when I would be that lucky again. And it quickly dawned on me, that night may be to my advantage. It made it easier to hide after all. And so I snuck through the shadows all the way to the back of the Inn where I first arrived at this place, only to see the same carriage that brought me here. Food. Proper food. I felt saliva instantly flood my mouth as I watched the man unload crates with what I assumed was food in front of a large wooden door before he knocked and waited.

"What?!" a woman stomped out, her features hard, nothing but annoyance on her face. If there was something I noticed, it was that beings here were much taller, bigger, stronger than what I was used to. It wasn't hard to deduce I was in a wolf village despite all my senses betraying me in this awful cold. Even from watching my own companion down under, I was in awe of sorts. Her strength could probably outmatch anyone back in my town. Her sense of smell, her sight and hearing were beyond anything I'd ever believe could be real. In our village, only a handful of us had good enough senses to hunt. These wolves were usually selected to be the village hunters and received training for it. The rest of us? Not so lucky. And here, where I was so tiny compared to the rest, my senses rendered almost human thanks to the elements surrounding me, I really wished I was born stronger. How long could I survive amongst these people?

"Your delivery," the man fired back at her, but she didn't back down. "See you next week," he added and left without another word or a response from her. She shook her head and picked up some of the massive crates, three at the time, kicked the door open and disappeared inside. I had no time to admire her strength as I was mere seconds ago. I didn't have much time before she came back for the rest. And so as quietly as possible, praying the sounds from within were loud enough to cover the sound of my feet outside in the fresh fallen snow, I snuck behind the last crate. It wasn't sealed, thankfully. The smell of fresh meat hit my nostrils and I almost shifted, ready to devour the entire thing. I never had raw meat before, but after eating rats for who knows how long, anything else seemed like a dream.

Quickly I grabbed four steaks of what smelled like deer meat and without so much as looking back, I bolted into the shadows of the street, stopping only once I reached the very far edge of the town to shove some snow into my flasks. It would melt near the fire, giving me enough water to survive a few days. Handy trick I learnt from the woman I share my space with. I stopped and listened for a few seconds, trying to hear if I was noticed or followed. As I looked around, I could see into the busy street on the opposite side of the alley I was in and I couldn't help but stare in awe. Only then I could hear the music and hear the voices and laughter of the people who seemed so close and yet so far away.

Whatever was happening there, it was busy. People were walking around covered head to toe in winter clothing, laughing and chatting in groups as they drank some hot drinks from colorful cups, standing under the glow of hundreds of fairy lights attached to the poles and trees looming above them. There was a giant bonfire too, which people were dancing and singing around. And for a second I forgot where I was. All of this seemed so... normal. I knew festivals like this. I celebrated like this. Laughed and sang and danced in the streets. A whole another life ago.

A couple passed by, obscuring my vision. Two girls holding hands and stealing quick kisses. Their happiness was so clear in the night air, I could feel it all the way across the street. A pang of jealousy hit me at that sight. Something I'll never have. And then one of them locked her eyes with mine and I froze. I should have ran and hid. I didn't belong here. And if they ever found me, I'd be thrown out to die. Or worse, they'd kill me and hang me on the front gates next to those three skeletons as a warning to anyone as foolish as I was, thinking of ever entering this place and surviving it. I should have bolted. Yet I just stood there, staring at that girl as she stared back. And then, just like that, as if it never happened, she turned away, back to her girlfriend and shook her head as they walked away. This woke me up from my trance and I ran as fast as I could for the entrance to the tunnels, not looking back again. I was lucky she didn't call for guards or whoever they used to enforce the law here. So very lucky.

I only stopped once I reached our little corner beneath the city. My roommate sat there, visibly annoyed. I was gone for too long. Saying nothing, I climbed up to my spot and reached into my backpack, pulling out two of the stolen steaks. Wordlessly, I handed her one. An apology for being late and a thank you for saving my life. She unwrapped the thin paper to reveal the meat, her eyes wide in shock as she looked back at me.

"I stole it," I said with a shrug, "caught one of the inns having a delivery and I took my chance," was the only explanation I offered. She said nothing as we both put our meat on sticks and began to cook it.

The dinner was the best thing that happened to me since that fateful day I attacked Collin and Lilian back in Moonvalley. After I finished, I laid there on the ground, the howling wind from the Wastes my only companion since my roommate left, and for a moment, I was content. I was okay. I tried to savor that feeling, because I knew how fleeting it was and who knew when it would visit me next. If ever. I wondered how long have I been here. Was it days? Weeks? Months? Did people here even count the time the same way as we did back in Summerlands? I had no idea. I didn't even know where I was. What was the name of this town, it's history, culture or people. I knew absolutely nothing and since I was an outcast, it was unlikely anyone would ever tell me. Because nobody cared for me. I was no one. I didn't even exist.

Soon, my dreams took over, taking me back across the Frozen Wastes, back into the land of eternal summer, to the town that lies hidden in a thick forest, on a shore of a giant beautiful lake, with water so clear, you could see fish swim at the bottom. In the dream, I walked the streets of this town and watched people laugh and children play. I laughed too, listening to my best friend's jokes. And then we stopped just in front of a house. A two story wooden cabin with a rose garden on the left and a pool in the back. I walked inside. TV was playing from the living room and I could hear my dad curse at what was likely some game he bet on earlier and was now losing. There was a divine smell coming from the kitchen. Mom was making dinner.

I resisted the urge to go and join them, instead I just quietly listened to them bickering from the hallway. I wanted nothing more but to walk in, hug them and tell them I was home. But I've done that in my dreams before and I've learnt my lesson. The moment I walked into the room, I would always wake up. And so I went upstairs instead. Into my room. I sat down on my bed, wishing desperately I could feel its comfort right now. Everything was the same way I left it that fateful morning. The photos and posters on the walls, my closet open and messy, my desk in a state of utter disarray. I wish I had cleaned it as mom asked the night before. Maybe it would delay me long enough to miss that stupid scene on the town's square. Maybe things would have been different and I would still be back home with all of them. I wish I was a better daughter.

***

If you're reading this, how do you like the story so far? 

Do you think Noyla's punishment was adequate? 

Do you believe she'll be able to find her way back home eventually or do you think she shouldn't and she should build her life in the North instead?