Chapter 7: NOT REAL

Chapter
VII
Not Real

***

Zhang Qi Ling sat quietly into the wooden chair next to Wu Xie's bed, hunching forward as he rested his elbows on his knees and head in hands. Closing his eyes, he counted his own breaths until he thought he could handle what was coming next. Turning his head toward the bed, he finally opened his eyes.

Moonlight slipped through the partially opened blinds and bathed the now eleven-year-old Wu Xie in soft, glowing light. His dark brown hair stuck up in every direction and his nose scrunched in annoyance at the images playing in his mind, and his mouth was slightly open, admitting a nasally snore and a thin line of drool.

"Wu Xie," he whispered into the darkness and brushed his fingers over Wu Xie's forehead. The soft snoring stopped immediately and he removed his hand. With a deep intake of breath, Wu Xie turned onto his side toward Zhang Qi Ling and a gentle smile curled his lips.

Zhang Qi Ling leaned back into the chair and looked around the room. Gone were the smiling faces of pastel-colored animals stuff toys, only to be replaced by geographical books and globes. His soft, toddler bed and bedding were replaced by a heavy oak, full-sized bed and dark green bedding. Tennis shoes and sweatshirts littered the floor and pen and papers hid in the soft carpet like waiting landmines of pain.

Wu Xie's grandparents had stepped forward to take the small boy after the accident. The doctors hadn't been able to diagnose a reason behind the boy's heart stopping, but a coupled with the incidences throughout his childhood, Wu Xie now wore a shiny, silver medical alert bracelet on his wrist. Armed with his 'medical issues' and the fact that Wu Xie insisted that his imaginary friend was going to come and save him, Wu Xie's grandparents felt that they needed to move closer to the hospital.

Wu Xie suffered night terrors for a whole year after that night. He screamed until he was hoarse for his father and for Zhang Qi Ling. During the day, he insisted that Zhang Qi Ling was real and watched over him. Between seeing specialists for his heart, Wu Xie's grandparents sent him to several child psychiatrists who worked to convince Wu Xie that Zhang Qi Ling wasn't real. They explained to his grandparents that they had seen this behavior before and with help and love, Wu Xie would move on.

During this time, Zhang Qi Ling fought against Wu Xie's desparate 'call' and when he did come to Wu Xie, he hid out of sight. He was there to hear Wu Xie's screams and watch his face crumble into tears and disappointment. He was there when the doctors repeatedly told Wu Xie that he didn't need 'Xiao ge' and to hear Wu Xie's harsh denials. Zhang Qi Ling was there in Wu Xie's room at night when Wu Xie's begged Zhang Qi Ling to come, begged his mother and father to find Zhang Qi Ling, begged God for Zhang Qi Ling...

Zhang Qi Ling's fingers bit into the skin of his palms and a sorrowful sigh escaped into the room. Wu Xie whimpered into his pillow and Zhang Qi Ling's fingers once more ghosted over his pearly cheeks.

"Someday, you're going to kill him with all your comfort."

Instead of removing his hand, Zhang Qi Ling's fingers slipped into Wu Xie's hair, and he turned around, a frown on his face.

"Now, don't be like that." Zhang Rishan said from across the room. He sat on Wu Xie's desk, long leg crossing over, as he leaned back on his palms. His dark hair looked like the midnight sky. "Seriously, though. Air is good for small boys."

Zhang Qi Ling forced his fingers to release the soft dark brown hair. Wu Xie curled into himself, pulling in deep breaths of air but never waking up. "What is it?" Zhang Qi Ling said, watching as Wu Xie settled into a normal breathing pattern.