III

"No way!" Y/n heard Penelope exclaim from her spot besides Montague. "He's just a first year."

The h/c girl sat in the empty seat across from the pair, grabbing a cup and pouring pumpkin juice. Penelope turned to her, excited to share the recent gossip.

"Harry Potter is the new seeker for the Gryffindor team." She informed Y/n, a smirk on her face. "I wonder how Wood feels about having a noob on his team."

The girl only hummed at the new information, glancing towards the Gryffindor table where the young boy was greeted with congratulations. She watched as Oliver Wood sat the boy close to him, taking pride at the attention his newest member was receiving.

"He seems to be fine with it." She mumbled, nodding her head towards the Gryffindor table.

Montague snickered, "Season should be easy, Higgs is a great seeker. Flint says we got nothing to worry about, especially when playing with rookies."

At the mention of Marcus, Y/n rolled her bright e/c orbs. Though, the action didn't go unnoticed by Penelope, who raised a brow. Y/n didn't tell them what had happened that night when Marcus told her they needed to make their arrangement work. She figured that as long as she avoided the topic she would sleep better at night.

"I'm thinking about being Madam Pomfrey's volunteer." The girl spoke, watching as Montague kept most of his attention on the Gryffindor team.

"I think that's great." Penelope stated, smacking Montague's arm to get him into their conversation. "You should do that."

"What are we doing?" Montague asked, causing a sigh to come from both girls.

. . . ✿ . . .

Pushing the door to the Hospital Wing open, Y/n watched as a young boy wailed loudly on the nearest bed. From the back of the room the school matron walked out with a vial in her hand.

Madam Pomfrey glanced at the girl standing near the door, ready to kick her out. Though, the girl had beat her to it, explaining how she wanted to help her and be a volunteer of some sorts.

Madam Pomfrey nodded her head. "Let me give the vial to... well, the green boy."

The girl turned her head to the boy, who was now bright green. She silently wondered how he had managed to get himself in such a position.

Madam Pomfrey chucked the liquid down the boys throat, watching as he soon became yellow and quickly regained his usual color. She walked back to where the girl stood, motioning for her to follow. "It's usually slow around the school year. The Hospital Wing is busier when Quidditch season picks up, that's when I'll need the help."

Pomfrey organized empty vials into a shelf, turning to her desk and glancing at Y/n. "You can come every friday when the season begins." She smiled, wrinkles formed around her eyes as she did. "I appreciate this, not many people enjoy the sight of blood or angry Quidditch players." The girl returned the smile, silently cursing as she realized she would, indeed, be around angry Quidditch players.

When Madame Pomfrey dismissed her, she walked out into the hallway and watched as Penelope was standing outside of the Hospital Wing. A smile spread across her face when Penelope looped her arm around her own.

"Where are we going?" Y/n asked.

"Common room." Penelope responded. "You and I need to discuss some things."

Y/n rolled her eyes. "About what?"

"Flint. Monty said you two had a conversation about two weeks ago, and to think I had to find out through him." Penelope feigned being hurt. "I thought we were friends." She concluded dramatically.

"Nothing happened." Y/n shrugged, mumbling the password once they reached the common room.

"Liar." Penelope snickered. "Something happened, I saw you roll your eyes at dinner when Monty mentioned him. Don't roll your eyes at me." She sniggered, watching as she rolled her eyes at the accusation.

"Maybe something happened." Y/n teased. Penelope snapped her eyes in her direction, clearly wanting to know more. "He just said we needed to make the arrangement work."

"Well," Penelope asked, rocking back and forth on the heels of her feet. "What did you say?"

"I said no." Y/n replied, taking a seat on an empty chair. "If I can make our parents see that we hold no feelings for each other, they would have no choice but to call the arrangement off."

"Umm, I don't think that's how it works." Penelope admitted, kicking a student off a chair and pulling it besides Y/n's own.

"It's worth a shot. Am I right?" Y/n smiled smugly, Penelope only gave her a shrug mumbling out a small 'I suppose.'

. . . ✿ . . .

"Vinda, do you suppose what we are doing to Y/n is right?" The h/c woman asked, pacing in front of the brick hearth.

"Don't be silly, Endora. This arrangement will keep you both safe. Is that not what you wanted?" The eldest witch asked as she sat near the burning fire.

"Yes, but what about the boy?" Endora asked, placing her hand on her head.

"He's destined for this, he will keep her safe when the time comes." Vinda affirmed her, grimacing lightly as she attempted to stand. "For now let's just hope they get along well."

The woman, Endora, nodded her head. She had second thoughts about the arranged marriage between her daughter and the Flint boy, but she knew it was to keep her daughter away from what was to come.

"Come to bed, dear." Her aunt, Vinda Rosier, called out from the top of the stairwell of the old Rosier home.

She thought about how different things would be if her husband were still alive, maybe then, her daughter wouldn't be arranged at such an age. A sigh left her lips as she used her wand to put out the fire, climbing up the steps to a night of fitful sleep.