XIX

A frown replaced Y/n's warm smile as she pushed through the doors of the Hospital wing, watching as Colin's petrified body lay on the furthest bed. It had been a month since the blond boy had been found, clutching his camera with fear.

Standing besides his bed, the girl swapped the dying flower for a new one. She didn't visit the Hospital wing often, unless it was after a Quidditch or Pomfrey urgently needed her. But today, just like she had for the past month, she tidied Colin's get well cards and neatly arranged his flowers.

Marcus watched her from the door, eyes glancing towards the stone like boy with a frown of his own. He watched Y/n approach him, silently taking his arm and dragging him outside.

"You alright?" He asked, worry laced in his voice as he watched her look distraught.

She nodded her head, glancing up at him with a forced smile. "Yes. I- first it was Colin, now it's been Justin and Nearly Headless Nick. And the Professors have us on early curfew, don't allow us to be alone at any time of day. Should we be worried?"

Marcus took her hand off his arm, slinging his own over her shoulder. "Well I overheard Snape and McGonagall talking about how it only targeted muggles. I guess we don't have to worry." He shrugged, sighing when the girl dropped his arm. "Sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

"I know." She whispered softly, walking into the library. She pulled out a chair, allowing Marcus to sit besides her and place their books on the table. "The holidays are coming," she began. "Have any plans?"

Marcus shook his head, "No, do you?"

"No," She muttered, recalling her mother's previous letter. "Mother and aunt Vinda are going away for business, so I'm staying here."

"Alone?" He asked, biting his lips as he thought deeply about his plans for the break. "Well, I can stay here." He watched as she opened her mouth, quickly shutting her up when he continued. "I don't think it's safe for someone to be alone, especially now with people getting petrified."

"I won't be alone." The girl informed him, "Pansy is leaving Cleo with me."

Marcus rolled his eyes at her statement, a low scoff leaving his lips as he did. "That cat will scratch your eyes out if given the chance. I'm staying and that's that. Spending time here instead of home will be better." He concluded.

. . . ✿ . . .

Marcus held Ares far from the white felines' reach, eyes narrowing as Cleo simply hissed at the pair. He watched as Pansy dragged her suitcase down the steps, calling her over he watched as the younger girl made kissy noises towards the cat. "Umm, Y/n told me to tell you she won't be needing Cleo to stay with her." He lied.

Pansy furrowed her brows, staring up at the boy before shrugging and cradling the wild familiar. "That's alright. I really thought she didn't want to be alone."

"Well, she cares about Cleo, you know?" Marcus stated, placing Ares where Cleo once laid. "But with people and cats being petrified, she thought it was best if she wasn't here."

"Oh, how sweet." Pansy bought the lie, bidding him goodbye and rushing out of the common room where her sister shouted for her.

He dropped on the single seat with a satisfied sigh, sitting upward when Y/n rushed down the steps. A furrow in her brow as she glanced around the room, causing Ares to rush towards her. She greeted the boy, taking a seat on the arm rest beside him. "Have you seen Cleo, I've already lost her." She pouted, turning to look at him.

"I have, Pansy left with her." He smiled.

"But she knew I was going to take care of her." Y/n stated confused at the situation.

"I told her to take her." Marcus informed her, watching as the girl half glared at him. "She's wild, and you wouldn't want her to be petrified. Would you?"

"Well, I suppose not." Y/n mumbled, rolling her eyes as she watched the Slytherin Prince approach them.

"Flint." The boy stated, taking a seat in the single couch in front of the pair. "Do we need any new equipment? I'm more than happy to inform my father of the team's needs."

A scoff left the girls lips, causing the blond to glare at her. Marcus smirked at her, knowing all too well she despised Malfoy, especially when he bribed his way through life. "You don't need to kiss arse, Malfoy. You're already on the team."

"And who asked for your unnecessary opinions, Rosier." He spat, tips of his pale ears turning red. "This is between us men." He motioned his finger towards himself and Marcus. The girl wanted nothing more than to break that finger of his.

"Oi, don't talk to her like that." Marcus spat, glaring at the boy when he noticed the girl grow silent. "She has every right to speak when she wishes to."

Draco huffed, shutting up as he knew it was best to not continue the argument going. Sending the girl one last glare, he left the pair silently hoping he wouldn't get kicked off the team. Not that he could, his father did buy him onto the team.

"Thank you." The girl spoke sincerely.

Marcus shrugged at her, "My father does the same to my mum. Makes me mad, but I can't do or say anything to defend her or else we're both in trouble." He frowned.

The girl fell into the small single seat beside him, squishing their legs together. "I'm sorry to hear that." She whispered, laying her head onto his shoulder and slowly slipping her hand into his cold one.

. . . ✿ . . .

When Christmas rolled around, both Marcus and Y/n managed to gather enough Galleons to purchase the petrified Gryffindor a new camera. Pomfrey watched as the pair set the gift next to the boys bed, smiling softly at the gesture.

Walking outside, Y/n began to twirl in the snow, opening her mouth as an attempt to catch snowflakes. A snort soon came from Marcus as he stared at her weirdly. "What in Salazar's name are you doing?"

"Catching snowflakes." She giggled, taking his hand into her own and instructing him to do the same. "See fun, right?" She asked him, watching as he began to pull something out of his pocket.

He nervously scratched the back of his neck, clearing his throat as he handed her a small gift. "I, uh, I got you something."

The girl let out a small thank you, digging into her own coat pocket before revealing a gift as well. "I did too." The two quickly exchanged their gift, stopping and waiting for the other to open it.

They chuckled as none made a move to open it, causing Marcus to rip the gift open first. He held up a picture frame, the picture had him along with his teammates cheering after the first goal of the season.

"I know, it's a bad gift. But the photographer was cheap, all I had to do was bring him sweets from Honeydukes." Y/n rocked on her heals, watching as Marcus smiled at the simple yet thoughtful gift.

"No, no, it's a great gift. Thank you." He smiled, "Colin's good. Now come on open yours." He nervously watched as the girl tore the decorative paper, a small gasp leaving her lips as she held up a silver bracelet adorned with emerald diamonds.

"It's beautiful," She confessed. "You really shouldn't have, I would have been happy with a chocolate frog."

The boy laughed at her words, shaking his head slowly. He watched as her head was begging to turn white from the snow. "I don't mind." He took the bracelet from her, watching as she held her wrist out to him. Clipping the charm on, they smiled towards each other. Their cheeks coated bright red, one would have said it was from the winter cold, but the pair knew better than blaming it on the weather.