XV

First years rushed past, nervously poking their heads into other compartments, hoping they would find an empty one. A young blond watched as two older students occupied one, he nervously made his way inside and sat besides the girl.

Marcus looked up from the Daily Prophet, watching as the boy fumbled with a camera. The blond glanced at him quickly, "I couldn't find an empty compartment, I do hope you don't mind. I'm Colin Creevey." The girl besides him smiled, causing him to gulp and blush bright red.

"We don't mind. I'm Y/n, and this is Marcus." She smiled, glancing at Marcus who rolled his eyes and muttered a 'hello'. The girl watched him silently raise his camera and take a picture of Marcus while he read the paper, causing a big flash to go off.

"Oi." Marcus fumed, but before he had the chance to scold him Miles and Adrian walked in giving the blond the opportunity to rush out of the compartment. He soon fell silent, glaring at the girl who only smiled.

Bletchley took the empty seat besides the h/c, sending her a smug smile. "How was your summer?" He whispered, eyes raking over her face.

"Good." She informed him bluntly, taking the discarded newspaper and occupying herself with it. "And yours?"

"Bit boring, actually." He sighed, "It sucks when you spend summer alone, you know?"

The girl hummed, turning to glance out the window. She furrowed her brows as she watched a car fly by. "Umm, anyone else see that?"

"See what?" Miles leaned over her, his face coming into close contact with her own as he too looked out the window.

She nervously cleared her throat, moving away from him. "Uh, nothing. I think I'm seeing things."

. . . ✿ . . .

Penelope's head fell on Y/n's shoulder, watching as Adrian and Montague piled food onto their plates, greedily. "Leave some for the rest of us, will you?" She laughed, rolling her eyes when Pansy squeezed in between her and Y/n. "What are you doing? Go sit with your own friends."

"Penny." The shorter girl whined, pointing a discrete finger towards the blond who sat in front of Y/n. Penelope rolled her eyes, scooting over and leaving her enough room.

"I'm so excited to be on this year's Quidditch team." Malfoy puffed out his chest as he spoke, watching as Marcus gave him a short smile.

"I didn't know he made the team." The girl whispered towards Marcus who sat on her left. "I thought tryouts were next week?"

"They are." He mumbled to her. An owl screeched at its arrival, suddenly dropping down and crashing onto the Gryffindor table.

"Well, that won't be pretty." The girl whispered to herself, watching as Ronald Weasley's hands shook as he tore the Howler open.

"Ronald Weasley!" The voice of his mother exclaimed, causing the boy to drop the letter in fear. He nervously glanced around as the Great Hall grew quiet, all eyes on his blushing figure. "How dare you steal that car! I am absolutely disgusted. Your father is now facing an inquiry at work, and it's entirely your fault. If you put another toe out of line, we'll bring you straight home."

The letter turned towards the youngest Weasley, this time speaking out with a soft and sweet voice. "Oh, and Ginny, dear. Congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud of you." The Howler stuck its tongue out at the blushing Weasley before tearing itself apart.

The Great Hall watched in silence before it burst out into laughter. Marcus earned a rough nudge from the girl besides him, watching as she frowned at him. They then turned to watch Draco laugh unnecessarily loud, causing Pansy to join in with a giggle.

. . . ✿ . . .

Professor Lockhart stood at the front of the class, silently watching as the students filled the room. Most of the girls had taken the front seats, drooling over the new DADA Professor who sent them charming smiles.

The girls e/c orbs watched as Montague and Penelope sat behind her. Miles smiled as he took the empty seat, causing Marcus and Adrian to sit on the desk besides them.

Lockhart moved about the class, informing his students about the many things he had done to lead up towards his success. "I think it's absolutely strange he has a portrait of himself." Miles whispered, causing the girl to nod in agreement.

He turned towards the boys beside them, watching as one wore a bored expression and the other glared at him. He then turned to the rest of the class, furrowing his brows as most the girls appeared to watch the new professor with a dreamy look. All expect Penelope who wore a disgusted look, rolling her eyes as a girl behind her let out a sigh.

"Be warned." Lockhart exclaimed, causing most of the girls to jump in their seats. "It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizard kind. You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room."

The h/c girl watched with wide eyes as the cage rattled and shook violently. "I must ask you not to scream. It might provoke them." Lockhart removed the cloth, revealing Cornish Pixies. "I would release them, but we nearly suffered an accident in the second year class." The new professor laughed lightly, causing a chorus of chuckles from the female students to follow.

. . . ✿ . . .

"Lockhart is a bloody joke." Penelope announced, dropping down on the love seat. She made more room on the couch for her two friends to sit, watching as the rest of the boys joined them.

Miles silently eyed the empty seat beside Y/n, rushing to take it only to let out an inaudible huff when Marcus had passed him and taken a seat beside her. He pulled a nearby chair and set it in front of the pair, glancing between the two with a smirk. "So, Rosier, Flint, heard the two of you spent the summer under the same roof. How was that?"

Marcus sent him a dirty look, leaning forward and placing his elbows on his knees. "What's it to you?"

The smirk on the boy's face grew, eyes shining with mischief as he watched the girl roll her eyes. "So something did happen. Oh, this is good." He sent the girl a wink, watching as Marcus stood up with a scowl.

"Nothing happened, Bletchley." The girl snarled, holding Marcus' arm back. "Mind your own business."

"Seriously, Miles, back off." Penelope rolled her eyes, not wanting a fight to break out between the two with her best friend in the middle. "Makes you sound like a pervert."

Miles' eyes snapped towards her, huffing as he stood up and walked away. "Will you sit down?" Penelope groaned at Marcus, his eyes following the male walk away with a deadly look. Penelope was called by a first year, she let out a small sigh as she made her way towards them.

Leaving Flint and Rosier to sit with silence on the love seat, Y/n glanced at Marcus with a frown, "You alright?"

He clenched his jaw, turning to look at her with a shrug. "Yeah, Miles is known for being a little too friendly and nosy." He leaned back, crossing his arms over his broad chest. "I'm not too surprised, just irritated.

The girl hummed with a smile. "I've noticed." He turned to her, cracking a small smile.

"Well, get used to it." He joked. The girl brought her legs up on the couch, turning to give him a bored look.

"I'm trying to." She watched as he threw his head back, a chuckle leaving his lips. The longer she stared, the longer she thought maybe he wasn't so bad, maybe they could make it work. He then turned to glance at her, watching as she quickly smiled before looking away.

Maybe it will be alright.