12

"What if they don't make it back?"

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Penelope.

"JEFF...Jeffy-Weffy...Jefferson. Jeffery." I speak with an annoying, sing-song voice which I know ought to annoy the other med-jack. Clint stares at the two of us with a look of mild amusement on his face as I've been bugging Jeff for the last thirty minutes non-stop.

Apparently I'm not focused enough, but we've had no patients and no sign of anyone coming in, so I'm currently begging him to let me go for a break.

"How much will it cost you to free me, Jeff? I'm basically a prisoner...and you're like the corrupt warden." Clint flushes a deep pink, causing the two of us to send him a weird look before Jeff begins speaking once again.

"If I were a warden, I'd have a baton, and I'd simply beat you until you stopped talking." Wow, talk about cold. "And we don't even have a currency system in the glade, Pen- how would you pay me for a break?"

I've been so unconsciously used to a capitalist society, I remember that much, that I realise we don't even trade or use any kind of currency, what we own belongs to everyone. "I'm a good artist, I'll draw money..." Maybe out of sticks and mud. Jeff rubs his temples, staring at me now. 

"If I let you go, will you stop talking?" I ponder his question now, wondering how important a break actually is.

"Well...no, but I'll be somewhere else on break, so you won't have to hear me speak at least." Clint snickers at this, practically begging to shoo me off as Clint finally gives in, letting me have a break.

Skipping out of the medjack hut, my eyes circle around the large glade, trying to find someone to hang out with. I notice Gally, though he looks absorbed in his building job so I keep looking. Blinking a couple of times, I steady my gaze on the afternoon sky of the glade, which looks more dismal than I've ever seen it before.

It never rains in the Glade, nor do we ever really see the stars, we usually just get some sunlight and moonlight from the distance which nobody really pays attention to. It looks as though the clouds are joining together to form one large rain cloud which hangs over us in a depressive manner. 

My speed picks up now as I make my way over to the gardens, seeing Newt working with Zart and Thomas, and though I figure it'll be a little awkward I make my way over to them anyways, deciding the matter at hand is more important.

"Pen?" I hear a couple of them call out to me, causing me to stop walking as I halt directly in front of them. Thomas shoves his shovel into the dirt, staring at me as he leans against the pole, one hand on top of it while one hand is wrapped around its shaft. I feel Newt and Zart's eyes on me as I unwillingly gaze my eyes up and down Thomas' muscular figure, slow as the sunrise on a Sunday morning (not that we usually keep track of days, Alby says it's a waste of time since we don't ever get breaks off work aside from a couple days).

THE MAZE TRIALS ┃tmr love triangleजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें