13

"Do you love him?"

Penelope.

THE ONCE LOUD ATMOSPHERE of the glade clad with pleading and yelling for the doors to open once more is long gone, and the air leftover from the storm feels dismal. We're covered from head to toe in freezing rainwater, and it feels as though we're stuck here for the night now. 

The coil which Thomas has snapped upon impact of landing on top of me is now resting on the floor, next to Alby's slumped figure which makes my eyes widen in momentary fear. If we can't survive the night, and nobody ever has, it's unlikely we could get an unconscious body out of the maze, too.

I turn to Thomas now, brushing my clothes off as I stand up from the maze ground from where he's now standing up, looking around for a solution of some kind. 

"You did this to me, Thomas." I sigh out, glancing up at the taller boy who now meets my gaze.

"I'm sorry, Pen. I'll get you out of here, we're gonna make it out tonight." His words feel barely comforting, but I know it's better to get moving than to dwell over what has happened already if we want any chance at survival.

"Nobody has ever survived a night in the maze." Minho has a confident stature, but his words reveal his underlying fear which we all have a little more prominently than him.

I tune out most of the conversation they have, instead trying to figure out what we could do with our night in the maze and where we can go, though looking at Alby and Thomas, I know Minho will be more safe than the two of them.

"The maze is already changing." I remember Minho telling me about how the maze changes every night, and how Newt has denied that it was even a maze on that first night I arrived in the glade.

"Hey, Minho!" Thomas yells out now, causing Minho and I to turn around and face him once again, "We can't just leave him here." 

I take in a deep breath before shakily making my way over to Alby, where I decide to check his body for any external injuries, not including his sting, as I'm still a medjack, even if it is to be my last day. 

I shake my head at the two boys now, "He's weak, he wouldn't be able to walk properly even if he was awake, we need all hands on deck here." I grip Alby's right arm, and Thomas grabs his left, so we sling him over our shoulders and slowly walk along the maze, Alby's figure dragging behind us in a way that makes him look like a corpse, though the thought of that alone makes me shiver.

I bite down on my lip to contain yelps that threaten to spill loose and curses which I don't want to shout, as I don't want to reveal that I'm struggling or I know Minho would try and take over from my spot. We need Minho to lead the way.

It takes around an hour, give or take, until we find a large wall of vines and reluctantly we drop Alby to the floor. I stretch my arms out above my head and hear a couple of clicks, causing Thomas to look at me with a perplexed look. "Miss your morning stretch?"