14

"Is it someone else?"

Penelope.

EVERY TIME I try to move, or shift my position, I'm struck with a new wave of pain. The cut on my hip hasn't been as bad as Alby's injuries, but it doesn't mean it doesn't need stitches which Clint has given me after I gave him back his jacket, which he surprisingly wasn't angry about. Weird. 

"Hey, Pensicle." I glance at the door from where I'm sitting inside Newt and I's room, noticing Gally walking in. "Are you ready for the meeting?" He chews on his lower lip, visibly nervous.

When I came back, Gally was nowhere to be seen, since he thought the trio of us had died inside the maze, but when he returned hours later I was showered with hugs and cheek kisses, as though he was some kind of hyper puppy. I was grateful for the company, but I knew he was still angry that I was dragged into the maze in the first place.

The thought of that alone has me scared for the meeting we're going to have, though surely since Alby is still bed bound because of the changing, hopefully Newt won't be too hard on the three of us.

After getting the good-to-go from Clint and Jeff, who are adamant on fixing me up even if I'm a medjack, Gally slung his arm around my shoulder and begins to walk the two of us towards the homestead, as I find it hard to walk alone. 

"I thought you died, y'know?" Gally's voice breaks the silence, taking me slightly by surprise. "I thought we lost you." And Minho...and Thomas. 

I wrap my arm around his waist as we walk along, a sigh escaping my lips as I do so, "I thought I was gonna die out there too, Gal." What was once a sincere conversation has turned bleak.

"We wouldn't have even been worrying in the first place if Thomas' dumbass didn't drag you in after him, you do realize that right?" Gally's voice has turned into a tone of anger as we reach the door of the homestead, me gently pulling it open to reveal most of the keepers and jury already there.

They always make the meetings so formal as if we aren't a bunch of teenagers, it's quite awkward to be frank. "I know, Gally; I shouldn't have done the stupid handcuff idea in the first place, it was just meant to be a joke."

Gally and I take our seats in the homestead, me sat directly next to Thomas while Gally walks and sits with Winston by the other keepers. The atmosphere is tense and people begin to quiet down when Minho comes into the room supposedly 'fashionably late' and Newt finally takes his seat next to Alby's empty chair.

Alby's chair being empty feels like some kind of sick reminder that bad things are happening, and the thought of it alone makes me feel disgusting inside, like Alby is going somewhere.

Brushing off my slightly intrusive and unwanted thoughts, I gaze over to Newt who's giving everyone in the room a brief of the situation, even mentioning that I hadn't intended to go into the maze, is he trying to defend me?