Episode 7 - Heartbreak Station

WARNING: ATTEMPTED SUICIDE

~

"What is it?" I ask.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry," Kai says. "I'm sorry for how things ended between us."

I nod, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear. "I'm sorry, too. If I had tried to make more time for our relationship. . ."

"You had a duty as the Silver Ninja, Tasha. I should've been more understanding," he replies simply.

"We both should've." There's a moment of silence after that. Then I say, "I have a question."

"Go ahead."

"Do you still love me?"

Kai blinks dumbfoundedly. "Of course I still love you."

I let out a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding. He still loves me.

"Do you still love me?"

"I made a promise, didn't I?" I say, smiling slightly.

A grin settles across Kai's face. "So are we good then?"

My lips twitch in amusement. "No."

"No?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Well," I say breathily, "we were a real mess when we split. It's going to take some time to fix it all."

"Okay," Kai says, crossing his arms over his chest. "You're right, of course you're right."

I let out a small laugh, smiling whole heartedly.

"Can I ask a question?" Kai says.

"You already did."

Kai rolls his eyes and smiles. "Can I kiss you?"

My heart starts to beat more rapidly in my chest and it takes everything not to run into his arms.

"I guess," I say coolly.

Kai's smile widens and he takes a few long steps to close the distance between us. He wraps one arm around my waist and the other caresses my cheek while he presses his lips to mine.

That's how I wish the conversation went.

~

"Do you still love me?" I asked.

Kai takes in a deep breath and my heart starts to sink. A deep breath never means a good answer.

"You were my first love, Tasha, and part of me will always love you for that. But our time apart has taught me that I'm okay without you. There was a time when I thought my world would crash and burn if you weren't in it, but it turns out that that's not the case. I left with the intention of finding peace in Zane's death, and I did. But I also found a new resolve: I found that if you're strong you can stand on your own, so I promised myself that I would never rely on anyone else ever again, and that includes you. I can't rely on your love anymore, Tasha, and I don't intend to ever rely on it again."

I inhale deeply through my nose, looking up at the ceiling to keep the tears from falling down my face. When I exhale, I look back at him. "So the answer's 'no.'"

"That's not what I said."

"Well that's how I understood it. You don't love me like you used to and you don't even want to try."

"I'm sorry, Tasha."

I rub the back of my hand briefly against my nose, shifting my weight from my left leg to my right leg.