Chapter 11: Arrival

*Gerard's POV*

I sit in the car, staring out the window watching the trees and my hope fly past with each twist and turn on the winding mountain roads of Oregon. I think through what's happened and come to the conclusion that either fate made a fucked up decision or karma is being a bitch once again. Maybe it's all for that time I put Mikey in the hospital. I mean, it was his fault. He shouldn't have been on the roof with me.

Anyways, as we drive down the roadways the tension and silence in the car could be cut with a knife. The only thing to be heard is the heavy breathing and small sobs from Ray who sits in the backseat. I don't necessarily look back at him but through the mirrors I can see that he hides his face in his hands to the best of his ability as both our right hands are cuffed to the doors.

Frank clears his voice before looking back at Ray in the rear view mirror. I see his head jolt up to meet the psychopaths gaze. Frank taps my shoulder and I turn my attention to him. He begins to speak as if everything was ok. "Ok, so we are almost there. Uh... just a few more miles I think..." He sighs for a second before taking a right at a fork that has been set in the road. "I am telling both of you now that trying to run is pointless. These woods are thick and you can get lost really easily. Coyotes, wolves and bears roam them. It's just not a smart idea." He says finally.

I look away, nodding and back to the road only to notice that it's not paved nor as prominent as before. Thick, tall trees loom over head, grass covers the road. Its very thin, the car barely fits, and It's curvy. Very fucking curvy. Definitely would be hard to follow on foot. I sigh before looking at my hand. The skin layered around my wrist is raw, bright red and close to bleeding from the thin, yet sturdy, pieces of metal wrapped around it.

I watch as a large house comes into view. Wood planks covering the outside, lighter Burch with the corners surrounded by Cherry. A large front porch sits in the front, in the center is a large oak wood door. The woods surrounding are thick, just like Frank said. The grass bright green. In every direction I look, the same scene pops up. It looks the same everywhere.

I watch as my chances of normal life ends with the click of a clutch. The jolt of a stopping car. The light sobbing of a curly-headed man. It all ends right here. In this little opening, in the middle of the Oregon woods, on the side of a mountain, just about a mile off of a main road. My life ends here.

I sit still and listen as Frank climbs out of his seat, door creaking as its opened. He walks around the front of the car and I can just barely hear the crush of the grass and dirt under his feet from over Ray's muffled tears. Frank opens my door slightly causing my arm to extend. He pulls a small key out of his black converse and unlocks the restraining piece of metal. I rub my wrist before stepping out of the car. The silence is almost numbing. You expect to step into a wilderness scene and hear the birds chirping, the wind rustling the leaves from the trees, the snapping of a twig on the forest floor, maybe it was caused by a rabbit, a squirrel, a bear, a deer. You'd never know unless you risked getting lost to check it out. Although here it was different.  None of those creppy yet comforting sounds were there. Just silence. As if even the animals and weather knew something wrong was going to happen here today. Right now.

It starts to get unsettling as Frank turns and opens Ray's door just a little farther than mine. I watch this occur and before I know it, my knees feel weak and my head is spinning. Tears are pouring from my eyes. I fall to the ground, pushing myself back until I hit the side of the car. I lean my head against it as I tug my knees to my chest. I, then rest my chin there and sob loudly. Frank kneels down next to me, rubbing my back. I swat his hand away but he doesn't give up. He just gets closer, sitting down next to me and pulling me into his lap. To weakened by the lack of movement from the past day and the lack of oxygen getting to my body due to my hyperventilating, I let him hold me. He uses his left hand to rub my back and the right to caress my hair, tucking some of the stands behind my ear.

I cry until the tears just aren't there anymore. Most likely a good 10 minutes straight if not longer. He pushes my face up and uses both hands to grab my cheeks, rubbing them in a comforting manner. He looks me in the eyes. He waits for a good minute before he speaks.

"Hey, honey. I know this seems like a living hell. Like the last thing you would want to happen to someone else much rather yourself. But I can promise it's not going to be that bad. I love you and I don't ever want anything bad to ever happen to you." He said looking me straight in the eyes.

He waits another minute and then pulls me into the tightest hug I've ever been in. Too tired, emotionally and physically, I let my forehead rest on his shoulder and I cry again. I let myself go. If I have to spend the rest of my life with him I might as well be nice. I've tried so hard to be nice. I don't want to get hurt. I don't want Ray harmed. I absolutely hate this, but as long as he's a danger I will have to cooperate with him, to the best of my ability.

I walk through the past days events in ny head. He was really sweet at dinner, but afterwards scared me. I'm not sure whether I should be afraid of him or if I should try tp befriend him. He doesn't seem like he would hurt anyone. Yes, he carries a gun. True. But it honestly doesn't seem like he would be able to use it. I don't know if he's ready to do that.

I mull over these thoughts as he rubs my back. He stands back up and uncuffs Ray before walking back to me. He picks me up, despite his size he's quite strong. He supports most of my weight as he walks me to the door, carefully he pulls a gold key out of his front pocket and unlocks the door. He carries me through the door and lays me on the couch, before sitting down and placing my head in his lap. He kisses  my forehead lightly and turns on the small TV. I Love Lucy automatically popping up in black and white on the screen.

I'm not sure quite yet, but I think I'll befriend him.