Chapter 7: Away

I turn my eyes back to the road and watch carefully. Oh so carefully, making sure not to make any mistakes. I can't risk him, not now at least. I love him. I've only known him a few days but I don't think I can live without him.

I snap back to reality after trying to picture a future where I had never met Gee. I hear him struggling against the restraints and clear my throat. I don't see it although I know he looks up, but he continues pulling at the metal, so I speak up. "You're gonna cut your wrists up if you do that, baby. I don't want you hurting yourself, so please stop. I really do care about you" I say before I can feel him turn and glare at my the back of my unkempt hair.

"If you cared about me you would'VE LEFT ME THE FUCK ALONE!" he yells calm at first but his voice gradually rising with his anger as he struggles against his cuffs again. I crouch in my seat slightly at his tone but sit back up nearly immediately. Lots of memories coming back. They seem to do that a lot when I'm around him.

"Please calm down," I say when he starts to breathe heavily. "I really do care. I love you" I mutter under my breath as he finally calms and returns to a normal sitting position.

We sit like this for about an 3 hours listening to the music and driving on and on; we make it through Jersey and most of Pennsylvania before I decide to break the awful silence that has ensued.

"So, Gerard?" I say, getting a grunt in response. Taking that as warrants for proceeding, I continue. "Tell me about yourself a little? Please?"

He shakes his head and scowls at me before saying, "I thought you learned all you need to know when you broke into my fucking house?!" I glare at him through the rearview mirror and he looks down at his knees. "Ok... well what do you want to know?" He asks still staring at the joints that connect his thighs to his lower-leg.

"Hmm.... where you're from originally? How old are you? Education? What do you do for a living? Favorite color? Family? Anything really" I say hopefully, and waiting anxiously for answers.

"Oh wow.... um well I grew up back in Belleville but left to travel for a while; I'm 21 and a high-school drop out, like yourself; I am an artist and I write comic books; my favorite color is either black or red and umm... the only family I have left really is my brother Mikey..." he says. That's why there's only pictures of him and Mikey. "My parents kinda abandoned me after I dropped out and came out as gay... but I don't want to talk about it...." he states and then fades out like a flame to a small stick. It shines bright for a second and then burns down until it runs out of fuel.

We sit silent again, I occasionally humming along to a song but over all its a quite ride for the next 2 more hours before I decide it would be best for both of us to stop and get some rest. I pull up at a motel and wake up Gerard who had fallen asleep.

He jumps up quickly but settles down only slightly when he notices it's me. He sits up and proceeds to take in his surroundings; the now dark and dreary sky that let's down a light pitter-patter of rain, the dark asphalt contrasting highly with the lightly shown white motel.

"Why are we here?" He asks groggily.

"We're gonna spend the night here. You are to act like my boyfriend and you will pay for the room. One bed, one room until 12 pm tomorrow. I will be there right beside you, so no trying anything, oh and if anyone asks I'm 18" I say sternly and make sure he has it all before moving forward. He nods nervously at my orders and I release him from the door and close it. Keeping hold of the handcuffs and shoving them into my black jacket pockets.

I walk to the trunk where everything is and grab $300 out of the safe and my bag with my clothes and Gerard's clothes bag. I put the money in my pocket with the cuffs and hand Gee his duffle bag and roll my suitcase to the door while holding his hand.

We walk through the door and up to the receptionist, who has naturally red, corkscrew-curl hair and green eyes; she's wearing a light blue dress-suit and green name tag that states the name Hayley. Haley greets us with a warm smile and looks to Gerard who automatically steps towards the desk.

"Hi! How may I help you 2 today?" She asks smile getting wider if possible.

"Umm... We'd like a room...." he starts obviously nervous. I squeeze his hand tightly, smile up at him and rub thumb over the back of it. "Umm... One bed please, until 12pm tomorrow... um.... a smoking room please....." he looks extremely nervous at this but I just smile at him and lean my head on his shoulder and wrap my arm around his waist. Hayley smiles and nods before handing us each a key with the inscriptions 'C57' on them.

"Third-floor; number 57 on the right. 5th door down. Hope you have a nice stay." She calls after us as we turn; Gerard's arm around my shoulder, mine around his waist. Its perfect. This is how I want us to be, but as soon as the elevator door closes he drops my shoulders and I reluctantly drops his waist. Our small little moment is gone now. Passed like the wind.

We make it to the room and we get ready for bed. Gerard lays down on the bed getting comfortable as I slip on my pajamas. I look at him sadly before clearing my throat.

"I know, I know.... I was just hoping maybe a little trust was brought along with this" He says while nodding. He lifts his left wrist as it is closest to the bedpost in the position he's in and I secure it loosely to the post and sit for a while and read. When I finally decide to sit my book down I notice Gee has already fallen asleep, so I decide to crawl in and curl up next to him.

I slide under the blankets and next to Gee, cuddling into his back. I wrap my arm around his waist and it comes to rest right over his bellybutton. I press my nose to the back neck breathing in his scent and slowly but surely drifting off to sleep.