Chapter 2

Derek was desperate to get home. He got on his flight and prayed that his wife would be okay. He was still trying to figure out what exactly happened. She looked very hurt on the short FaceTime call, and it broke his heart. From DC to Seattle, it was about a 6 hour flight. He just hoped Meredith would hold on, at least until then.

Back in Seattle, it had been about an hour since Merediths attack, and they were still working on her in the pit. She was asleep now, but word has spread a about the attack. "Hunt, what are her injuries?" Bailey asked worriedly. Owen sighed. "Torn ACL in the right leg, 5 broken ribs, fractured cheekbone, broken jaw and a grade 3 concussion. Oh, and a broken collarbone in her left arm." Owen said sadly. "I don't understand. The patient was fine. He was making friendly talk to her about the kids." Ben said angrily.

"He was postitcal. Most patients don't even remember doing what they did." Owen responded. "I would never have left her alone if I'd known." Ben said, clearly feeling guilty. "It's not your fault." Bailey said firmly. "Is she almost done here? I arranged a vip room for her." Bailey asked. "No. Unless you want Torres to set the bones and cast everything in there." Owen replied.

"Keep her in here." She ordered. He nodded as Callie came in. "What the hell happened?" Callie exclaimed in shock. "A patient." Owen replied. "She's gonna need surgery, she has a torn ACL in the right leg, I don't know what you want to do about that collarbone, and Avery or Sloan are gonna have to check out that cheekbone and jaw." Owen announced as Callie looked over her chart.

"Good god. Does Derek know?" She asked, her voice wavering slightly. Meredith and her may not have been the best of friends, but they went through motherhood together. Bailey nodded. "He's on his way." She said.

"What happened?" Lexie asked as she and Mark burst through the doors. She and Mark had gotten married after the plane crash. "She was attacked by a patient." Callie replied. Lexie went to her sisters unconscious side and grabbed her hand tightly. Lexie and Mark looked over her chart and winced at the injuries. "This guy must've been a big dude." Mark muttered. "He was." Ben said.

An hour later, Callie had set and put a sling on Merediths collarbone. Mark and declared rhat the cheekbone did not have to get operated on, but the jaw definetely did. They decided to wait on surgery until Derek comes back.

On the way up to Merediths VIP room, she regained consciousness and moaned in pain. "Meredith, it's okay." Lexie said soothingly as she stroked her forearm. Meredith squirmed around on the bed. "Grey, stay still." Bailey said softly.

Meredith was beyond confused, and in pain. She couldn't move her mouth or talk at all, she couldn't hear anything, everything hurt. Lexie and Mark were next to her, and Bailey was too, but why wasn't Derek there? Was he hurt? Just the thought of Derek being hurt made her heart race, which was indicated by her heart monitor.

"Derek will be here soon Mer." Lexie said softly. Bailey, thinking ahead, got a whiteboard and handed it to Lexie, who wrote 'Derek will be here soon'. Meredith read it and relaxed slightly.

They got her settled into her room and Meredith was fast asleep. "Derek is on his way, right?" Mark asked. "He was as of 2 hours ago." Bailey replied. While Meredith was sleeping, Maggie, Richard, Alex, Mark, and Lexie, all sat in Merediths room in case she woke up again. Luckily for them, it was a slow day at the Hosptial.

After what seemed like the slowest 6 hours past by, Derek finally got off of the plane. He raced to the luggage area and quickly grabbed his suitcase.

He got his car in the parking garage and zoomed off. He almost laughed at the fact that if Meredith knew how fast he was going she would definitely yell at him. With his phone, he quickly dialed baileys number. "Bailey, how is she?" Derek asked nervously. "She's okay. We're waiting on surgery until you get here." Bailey replied. "Surgery?!" Derek exclaimed in worry.

"It's not emergent. Focus on driving. Are you almost here?" Bailey asked. "About a half an hour out." Derek replied. "Okay shepherd, we'll see you then." Bailey said as she hung up. Dereks mind was all over the place. His wife. His wife attacked by a patient. His wife waiting on surgery. If someone said he was worried, that would be an understatement.

Derek finally arrived at Grey Sloan and ran into the hospital, getting odd looks. His hair was a mess, and he probably had worry lines all over his face. "Where is she?" Derek asked as he jogged over to Bailey. "She's in there, Derek-" Bailey started. Derek ran into the room and his heart broke and eyes widened when he saw her crumbled form on the bed.

"She's beaten up Derek." Bailey said softly from behind him. He picked up her chart and wordlessly read through it. "Who did this?" Derek asked angrily. "A patient, Derek he had a seizure and was postictal." Bailey replied quietly. "Has she been conscious?" He asked as he grabbed Merediths non slinged hand. "Briefly, a few times." Lexie said from the other side of the room.

"Where are the kids?" He asked. "Karev and Wilson took them home." Mark replied. "How the hell did this happen?" Derek asked. "She was left alone with the patient after he had a seizure. She sent them to get neuro and new bed sheets and stuff, and then I guess he just...." Alex trailed off. Derek nodded and gently kissed Merediths forehead. "We're gonna head out for the night Shep. We'll see you tomorrow." Mark said as he, Lexie, Bailey, and Alex all stood up and left the room, leaving Meredith and Derek.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I love you." He whispered.

Hey guys!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!