Chapter 18

Meredith was struggling. That's it. That's how anyone would describe it.

Derek knew this and he saw this. So, he planned something for just the two of them. He made sure Meredith did not have therapy, and he asked Alex to watch the kids, which he agreed to.

So, one morning, Alex picked the kids up before work while Meredith was still sleeping. "Thanks Karev. We owe you one." Derek said with a smile before heading back to bed.

Meredith moaned as she felt the weight shift in bed. "Shh. Go back to sleep." He whispered, pressing a kiss to her neck. "M'kay." She mumbled.

•••

A few hours later, Meredith was surprised to wake up at 10, still in the arms of Derek. "Good morning." Derek said. "Morning. Where are the kids?" Meredith asked sleepily, turning around in his arms to face him.

"Alex took them this morning. I figured we need a day to ourselves." Derek replied. "That's good." Meredith said, cuddling to his warm body. "We gotta get up. I have something planned." He whispered.

"Planned?" She asked in surprise. He nodded and bent down to kiss her softly. "Do we have time to take a quick detour?" She asked as she rolled on top of him. "Always."

•••

After their quick detour, the two of them both got ready and quickly left the house after breakfast.

"Where are we going?" She asked as Derek drove through the streets of Seattle. "You'll find out in a second." He replied with a smile.

Derek pulled in to the ferryboat parking lot. "We're riding the ferryboat?" Meredith asked. "We are."

They boarded the boat and stood at the top of it as the boat flew through the water.

"Why did you bring me here?" Meredith asked as dereks arms wrapped around her, hands on the railing. "This is a place I could always go to calm myself down and think about things without being disturbed." He started.

"It really lets me clear my mind and just relax." Derek said. "Derek-"

"Mer, you were  attacked by a patient in your own hospital. You've been going to therapy. But you aren't letting yourself relax and really accept what happened." Derek said softly. "I don't want to accept that the one place aside from home that I feel safe in I was attacked in." She admitted.

"And that's okay.  But acceptance will get you a long way. I mean, when I was shot and half of my staff was killed, I didn't want to accept that either as the chief, but I did. And I'm okay now." Derek said.

"I'm trying." She whispered, holding back tears. Derek turned her around and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Hey, none of that. I know you are. But just accept that it happened. And I'm here for you, always." He replied.

Meredith nodded and buried her head into his chest. Derek held her head close to him and rocked her slightly.

Derek led her over to the seats and sat them both down. "You're okay. You'll get through this. We'll get through this." He murmured.

•••

When the ferryboat came back to Seattle, the two of them got out of the boat and into the car. "Feeling a little better?" Derek asked hopefully. "Yeah, I am. Thank you Derek." She replied softly. He smiled. "Anytime Mer."

They got home and entered the house. "You want to know what else I planned?" Derek asked with a smile. "What?" She replied.

"Movies and pizza." He said, just as the doorbell rang. He went to open it and grabbed the pizza left af the door. "You got Bertucci's?" Meredith asked with a big smile. "I did. Sit down and get a movie picked out." Derek replied.

Meredith did so and settled on The movie 'Bad Moms Christmas', one of her favorites. "Ah, I'm not surprised." Derek said as he sat down, the pizza box on the coffee table in front of them.

Meredith curled up in dereks arms while she ate the pizza. She was so grateful for Derek. He was there for her any time she needed, and he was truly the best husband and father she and her kids could ask for. 

•••

After the movie, Alex dropped the kids back off at the house. "Mama!" Zola and Bailey exclaimed as they ran over to their parents. Derek walked over with Ellis and sat down on the couch as the other two kids scurried up.

"How was your day? Did you guys have fun with uncle Alex?" Meredith asked enthusiastically. "Yeah! He taked us for donuts!" Bailey exclaimed. "He did?" Derek asked in fake shock. They both nodded, big smiles plastered to their faces.

"And what about you Ellie?" Meredith cooed, taking the baby out of dereks arms. "Ma." Ellis murmered, resting her head on Merediths chest. "You have a good day? Yeah?" She asked.

This was the end to a perfect day. Ferryboats, pizza, and kids. Meredith needed this more than anything. "Thank you for today Derek. I love you." She said, kissing him softly. "I love you too."

Hey guys! I Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! Hope your all doing well. And I also recommend that if you haven't watched A Bad Moms Christmas you should (it's very inappropriate but it's hilarious)