Chapter Nine - 'I just wanna run, hide it away'

“Where are you going?” Lucy wailed, clutching onto her big sister's arm longingly.

“London,” Kath replied, looking hastily up at Anna. In response to the confused look she explained, “Dad said I could.”

“I haven't agreed,” Anna replied sternly.

“You don't need to,” Kath snapped back, patting Lucy's arm to keep her calm, “You're not my mother.”

Anna shrank back a little, then sat up straight. “No. But I do have some authority,” she said, jaw set. “I used to be scared of you, Kathryn. But not any more.”

“Are you scared of me?” Lucy butted in, poking her head above the tablecloth.

“Yes, you're quite a fright!” Anna joked, ruffling Lucy's hair. Lucy giggled happily, before springing off Kath's lap out of the room.

“You can steal her, but not me,” Kath said icily.

“I'm not stealing her,” Anna snapped, looking nervous like her former self. “Kathryn, I'm trying to be nice to you.”

“Well, good job,” Kath replied sarcastically, shoving a pair of warm winter boots on.

“Kath, can we just try and get along?” Anna pleaded.

“Um, can you just try not to patronize me?” Kath asked back, evil smile leaping with triumph. Seeing Anna's defeated stance, she took her chance. “So, can I go?”

Anna sighed. “Fine. Go. Just be safe, alright?” she rubbed Kath's arm tenderly, trying to blot away the anger and disappointment between them.

“Patronizing,” Kath groaned, turning away quickly. She offered Anna a small smile in exchange for a wad of cash, then promptly left, calling a hurried goodbye at her father as she made her way up the road to the train station.

The platform was as gray as the day, but everything seemed to be lit up by Aidan; his rusty chinos scuffed as he dragged himself towards Kath, engulfing her in his strong arms. Pushing her gently away, he smiled happily.

“I was worried you'd be grounded.” he said with a laugh.

“What? For faking the pregnancy?” Kath scoffed as if it was nothing.

“When I got your text I thought it was hilarious,” Aidan laughed. “But parents have a funny way of overreacting to basically everything.”

Kath sighed. “My mum did – except that of course her job called and whoosh, off she goes again. My step-mum was just scared and my dad... he doesn't like to look at my faults too long.”

“You saying you got away with it?” Aidan asked in amazement.

“Pretty much,” Kath replied, walking swiftly towards the train.

Aidan laughed again, pulling her on board. Once inside the train, they sat down, collapsing in laughter although nothing was particularly funny.

“Where did you say we're going today?” Kath asked, looking up lazily.

“It's a surprise,” Aidan murmured, playing with the tip of her ponytail.

“I hate surprises,” Kath retorted.

Aidan looked at her quizzically.

In response, Kath began, “Surprises used to always be rubbish 'presents' from my mum. She would order them on-line and there was no knowing what the 'surprise' would be. When I was seven she ordered me boys clothes – scarred for life.”

Aidan chuckled, his chest shaking Kath who lent dependently on him. “Seriously tell me,” Kath demanded, sitting up to glare at him.

He sighed. “Don't hate me for it.”