Chapter Five - 'you're the only place I've ever called my home'

For Kath, the next three days passed tediously. At school she was restless, constantly shifty, and of course yet more aware of the thousands of eyes upon her. Ever since she'd bunked school she'd been the prime topic of conversation.

She was resilient, however, to any criticism; she'd heard it all too many times before, spent too many lunchtimes hiding in the library to care about the latest gossip. As far as she was concerned, everybody else was just jealous.

In fact, long as the days were, they were also remarkable uneventful. Danielle and her crew seemed somewhat apologetic, although no doubt that behind her back it was a different story altogether. What was it to Kath anyway? She'd persuaded herself it didn't matter, after all.

Thursday morning came, and flicking her bleary eyes open, Kath resolved to make an effort for one day only - she didn't believe in karma, but there was no harm in trying, she mused. After dressing speedily in her uniform, pulling her blond hair in a strict ponytail, she made her way downstairs to a breakfast she ate only too hastily.

“You're in rush today, Kath,” Anna commented, clearing her bowl away.

Kath murmured a hasty respond, and got up swiftly to pack her bag. If she was quick on a normal morning, today she practically concord.

The journey to school was covered in moments. Of course for Kath it was an age, as, for sure, the whole day of waiting would be.

At school the whispers flew over her head. She passed Nathan, and for once she managed a civilized 'Hi,' before squirming to the other side of the corridor, not looking even slightly dismayed. Vanessa was the only one to smell a rat.

“Kath, I don't trust this cheerful you,” she said factually.

Kath shrugged. “I just got thinking. Nothing is ever as bad as it seems.”

“Huh?” Vanessa scowled with a skeptic stare. “Kathryn, seriously, what's going on?”

“Nothing,” Kath shrugged, looking away suspiciously.

“Why bother lying to me, Kath?” Vanessa asked, staring at her with hard blue eyes.

Kath made a slight sound and looked away again.

“Kathryn!” Vanessa squealed, poking her friend playfully. “Seriously, tell me!”

“Don't pressurize me!” Kath cried, rolling her eyes dramatically. “So you want to know now, do you?”

Vanessa rolled her eyes, suddenly remembering their previous argument. “Kath, honestly? I thought we'd dropped that?”

“We will... when you say sorry.” Kath said with indifference.

“Kath! Grow up! I wasn't the one that stormed out of the whole school. I was genuinely worried, too. And then I heard you'd been spotted strolling the park... I thought the best thing for me to do was 'drop it',” Vanessa argued, glaring at Kath.

“We will. When. You. Say. Sorry.” Kath repeated, her eyes dead set.

Vanessa shrugged. “Sorry. But I think you should apologize too.”

“I didn't do anything wrong!” Kath yelled in surprise.

Vanessa shook her head. “You didn't listen to me.”

“Oh, get a life,” Kath snapped, “It's you that doesn't care about me. I was going to tell you the good news – but it's apparent you don't want to hear it!”

Then, with her usual moody turn, she stalked off, hair bobbing in frustration. Vanessa stood, embarrassed in the corridor, wondering what she did truly wrong this time.