Chapter Twelve - 'when you find out something that changes everything'

“Nobody's picking up,” Ellie scowled, slamming the phone down. “I bet that's on purpose.”

“Purpose?” Laura asked, shuffling about in her boots.

“Yes,” Ellie replied, “Don't look so surprised! Harold makes no secret of his hatred for me. Honestly, it wasn't even me that cheated. But not picking up is just low.”

Laura gave a concerned pat to her comrade. “Try again. It might be the last chance you get to speak to them for a while now.”

Ellie looked slightly daunted, before redialing hastily.

Bleep bleep, bleep: The person you are calling is currently unavailable.

“Ugh,” Ellie rolled her eyes. “Still nothing.”

“Write them letters then,” Laura suggested. “Just hurry, we're going soon.”

“No time,” Ellie shrugged. “It's not like they'd appreciate them anyway. How longs the expedition? Four weeks? Knowing my family, nobody will miss me.”

Laura shrugged. “Not even Lucy?”

“I don't know,” Ellie looked a little lost. “I don't really know her.”

“How come?” Laura asked with little true interest.

“Work's always come first to me,” Ellie shrugged. “I love her dearly, there just isn't the time, you know?”

Laura nodded. “Understandable. I'll go and see what time we're needed. You just take a break.”

Laura got up loftily, the aura of confidence bouncing off her with certainty. She strolled out of the door with her head held high, leaving Ellie sitting alone.

In fear.

The thought smacked Ellie like a bullet. She was afraid. For the first time in her career, she didn't want to die. She wasn't ready to.

She shook herself. The expedition was dangerous, of course, they always were. But no more risky than the other ones, where she'd marched undaunted and come out unharmed.

Yet the oozing feeling of terror had sunk into her skin. There was no shaking it off. No pushing it aside. No forgetting it, wiping it away.

She was afraid.

“You shoplifted?” Kath almost screamed at her annoyed brother. “That's ridiculous!”

“I was hungry!” Daniel cried back, facing up to Kath. Daniel was now an inch taller than her, which gave him a confidence he realized he'd had inside him all along.

“So? You're selfish, you know that, Dan?” Kath yelled, glaring him down.

“Me? Selfish?” Daniel laughed at the irony. “Kathryn, have you seen yourself? No, seriously, take a step back. Think of the bigger picture. Focus on other people. You won't like what you see at all.”

What?” Kathryn's face distorted in confusion. “Daniel, you ran away. If that's not attention seeking, not to mention selfish, then please tell me what is.”

“Bunking school? Faking a pregnancy? Calling Mum home from such a valuable job for your own needs?” Daniel suggested.

“Valuable job? Grow up!” Kath cried before stamping away from her brother.

“Get a life!” Daniel called after, “No seriously, you need a new life!”

Kath pretended not to hear, though the words seared into her as she stamped up to her room where she found herself hopelessly calling Vanessa.