Chapter Ten - 'we never change, do we? We never learn'

“Kathryn?” Ellie's voice rang through the crowd, small and weak amongst the confusion. She opened her mouth to add something but closed it quickly, an uncertain shadow of her usual bullish self.

Kath stared at her jaw set, yet underneath her tough stance her eyes watered, the gaps in her tough crust. She cast a sideways looks at Aidan. He smiled, picking up her hand with a squeeze. With a little more confidence, she said faced her mother. “You weren't meant to hear all that,” she shrugged, “but I don't mind that you have.”

Ellie's face crumpled, her hair sticking to the sweat on her forehead. “Can we talk about this?” she asked, edging away from the rapt crowd.

“Sure,” Kath replied, making no effort to move. The crowd stared in awe at the defiant teen.

“Elsewhere,” her mother hissed, turning an angry shade of red.

Kath shook her head. “If you've got anything to say, enlighten us all please.”

“Kathryn, don't do this,” her mother said, looking hopelessly around the crowd for support.

“Do what your mother says,” a gruff voice called out, and Kath turned to see the retired officer on the floor, his eyes dark and evil.

“Who even are you?” Kath asked in disgust.

“James Hill, ex-soldier, injured in battle.” He responded proudly. “And injured here too, it seems.”

“Your own fault,” Kath quipped, glaring across at her mother quickly.

“You need to watch what you say,” James snapped, his voice like a snake. “One day you'll get into trouble that your boyfriend won't be able to sort out.”

“Boyfriend?” Ellie raised her eyebrows, staring at the disheveled Aidan.

“Don't worry,” Kath said, “I wouldn't expect you to know or care.”

In between them Aidan stood awkwardly, flicking his head from one generation to the other. He was annoyed at Kath, of course, but she had such a way of explaining her side that he found it impossible not to see it; he found it impossible not to justify her actions, her words. And for that reason, and a lot of love, her smiled at her, pushing her on.

Kath took a step closer to her mum, aware that the crowds were slowly losing interest, moving forward with their causes. “You don't have a clue who I am,” she said menacingly.

“You're right,” Ellie said, looking at her toes. “I'm sorry.”

“What do you expect me to do? Forgive you?” Kath laughed, pulling Aidan to her side. “I don't need you any more, 'mum'. I don't need to forgive you.”

“It would be nice,” Ellie said tightly.

“Really? So what, I forgive you for deserting me and then you go and do it all over again, just with a bit less guilt? That's nice? For real?”

“I don't know why I bother,” Ellie said, raising her voice. “I'm not sorry for who I am. I'm not sorry for what I do. I'm not sorry at all!”

“Well, neither am I,” Kath replied loudly.

“You're not?” Ellie shouted now, her voice fluctuating crazily. “You're not sorry for pretending to be pregnant? For jeopardizing my chances of promotion? For leading me on? For lying? For hating me? Oh Kathryn, I could go on and on with this list!”

“You can if you like!” Kath screamed, “It's not like I was listening!”

“Don't give me that, Kath. You owe it to me to listen!” Ellie yelled, her eyes bright and angry as she thumped her foot on the pavement. “You need to try to understand!”